VMware Cloud Community
dpkressin
Contributor
Contributor

Customization Wizard and Windows 2008 R2 template fail

We are using vSphere U1 with ESX U1. Running vSphere on Windows 2008 SP2 patched out. Trying to build Windows 2008 R2 network. Created first VM from .ISO. Installed VMTools and made some minor changes to the OS. Converted the VM to template. We then choose to Deploy VM from Template. We choose to use the Customization Specifications Manager to automatically have SYSPREP run at the completion of a succussful deployment from template. Problem is the new VM boots up successfully, but then reboots automatically to run SYSPREP. SYSPREP starts and fails. Gives the error message that "Windows Setup encountered an internal error while loading or searching for an unattended answer file". We did not select the option to use an unatteded answer file with SYSPREP. The VM now goes into a loop and has to be deleted from disk.

Help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
schrjeff
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having this very same issue, without any success in finding a solution. My current work around is to sysprep the vhd and shut it down. Then clone it and go through the windows sysprep. But this takes a lot more time and attention so I'm hoping someone comes with a solution.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I found the same problem, however upon further review inspect the OS versions CLOSELY. We had a BETA version of Windows 2008, that was the culprit. If you aren't careful you could be deploying the pre-release version, NOT the FINAL GA / non-Beta release.

When we discovered / fixed that little problem deployment went fine.

0 Kudos
schrjeff
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm downloading a fresh ISO from Microsoft right now to try out. We are using 2008 R2 Standard edition... Do you think that might be an issue? I hope it doesn't only work with Enterprise edition.

0 Kudos
karemabdou
Contributor
Contributor

i have template 2008 R2 and clone VMs from that template all of the VMs Have the same network GUID however i clone the VMs with the Custmization wizard and genrate new SID and everything is right exapet the same network GUID which cos the cluster services to fail cos of all the cluster nodes have the same GUID according to microsoft people so how can i add the sysperp to my VC which is runnig on W28 64 BIT. CHECK THE ERROR

0 Kudos
schrjeff
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is an old discussion but I just wanted to update it to let everyone know that there is a solution.  It has to do with funny characters in the domain account password that you use to add it to the domain.

There is a VMware KB talking about the fix here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103275...

Hopefully this helps someone.

0 Kudos