VMware Cloud Community
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 with 3.01 in same cluster?

Is it possible?

Also, can one use VC 2.5 for administration of older (3.0x) clusters (or each ESX must be first upgraded to 3.5)

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be able to manage your ESX 3.0.1 host with VC 2.5, but you'll want to make sure that ESX is patched and up to date - see page 2 here - .

Make sure to look through the upgrade guide for VC before doing your upgrade - . Some people have had problems with their VC database getting messed up because their SQL permissions were not setup correctly as per the documentation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
steven_catania
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is possible. It is recommended to upgrade the VC first so if your ESX hosts are not as current you can still administer them. VC 2.5 is compatible. I would however get your Hosts at least to 3.02.

We have done this but only for a short period of time as the effect on DRS and HA was unknown. Try and stay current with the VC and ESX versions.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Stay current would be nice, but I do not have a chance of testing the upgrade to 3.5 for production

I have 3.01 working really stable, doing all that I need without a hickup, so I am reluctant

Will have to think long & hard how to do it (just doing it is easy, it is the backup plan B that is needed in case...)

Seb

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will be able to manage your ESX 3.0.1 host with VC 2.5, but you'll want to make sure that ESX is patched and up to date - see page 2 here - .

Make sure to look through the upgrade guide for VC before doing your upgrade - . Some people have had problems with their VC database getting messed up because their SQL permissions were not setup correctly as per the documentation.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I love the disclaimer -

Requires the latest version of ESX Server 3.0.1.

And what would that be?, ESX with just latest patch applied, or ALL patches applied, or some of them aplied

Anybody knows more precise requirements?

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
cytex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was wondering the same thing will 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 work with 3.5 without any problems? Do I only need to upgrade VC for 3.0.1, 3.0.2 to work with 3.5 in cluster?

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From the matrix http://www.vmware.com/pdf//vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_compat_matrix.pdf

you HAVE to have VC 2.5 to administer ESX 3.5

0 Kudos
cytex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So do you know if it possible to run with 3.0.2 or 3.0.1 with 3.5 in cluster without any problems after upgrade to VC 2.5? No issues?

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

From the matrix it seems that the answer is Yes, also in the firsat reply the answer was Yes, so I would take it as yes

Seb

0 Kudos
cytex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks hope it will work then. Let me know if you get any problems if you self gonna run mixed with 3.0.1 and 3.5.

0 Kudos