VMware Cloud Community
Kev_3PNTS
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1ux 5 NICs - 2 Connections to ISP Possible?

Hi everyone,

Based on what I've "google'd"  I don't think this is possible, however wanted to ask the question.

I have one server.   Running 5 NICs on it.

2 NICs are teamed and provided access to a SBS 2011 server for the local network.  This connection is as follows

Internet 1  (Public IP not Static) ------ Physical Firewall ------ Physical LAN ------ ESX (SBS2011) 2 NICs  NICs 1 and 2

Now what I would like to do, is create a another LAN but seperate from the other one.

Internet 2 (Public IP not static) ------ ESX (NIC 3) ------ Software Firewall ----- vSwitch ------ LAN

However, here is my problem.

When I connect a physical computer to the second Internet connect I receive a IP address from the ISP.  Perfect and expected. However;

Wen I take that same connection and plug it in directly to the ESX, I receive verification of the observered IP range, but no IP address take/assigned/or send to the Software Firewall VM.    I can't "assign" a static IP, but I don't have one.  As the ISP provides DHCP service.  Static IP address is out of the quesion right now.

What I read was that some ISP, don't allow assignment of IP address to Vmware MAC or made up MACs.   So I don't think it's possible to create actual mac address of NIC 3 and 4, since they are a part of the ESX.   I thought Passthrough is an option, but the NICs are not supported that way.

Now, I guess I could put a router in front of that connect, but don't really want to add MORE hardware to that location.

Thoughts?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes it is definitely possible - Are you trying to connect both ISPs to single VM? How is the VM configured? Do you have two seperate vswitches?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Kev_3PNTS
Contributor
Contributor

Well three Switch to be honest

One switch runs the SBS2011 and connects to my Physical LAN - using 1 Duel Nic.

The 2nd and 3rd switch are running the WAN and LAN. assigned differnt NICs to troubleshoot.

But the WAN nic will not get a IP from the ISP that is my problem.  I can see the IP it's observering, but when I try to connect my VMnic it doens't assign one.

Just not sure why it's doing it.

0 Kudos