VMware Cloud Community
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

Essentials license question - more than 3 VMs?

A vmware sales person told us we can have as many VMs on an essentials license as we want.  But this seems to be in direct conflict with the infromation published on the vmware website, which says:

"to virtualize three physical servers"

We want to virtualise about 20 physical servers and run them on one vSphere host with 128GB ram, 2 CPUs with 32 cores.  We dont need high availability.

Has anyone tried to put more than 3 vms (i.e. more than 3 virtualised servers) on an essentials licensed machine?

Thanks,

Eos.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

The Essentials pack is for a max of 3 Hosts with 2 cpus each, and total of 192GB ram ( 32GB max per socket).

You can run as many Guests on this boxes as you can, performance permitting.

Mark

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I just answered this in your other thread.

3 physical hosts are allowed, and the only limit on the number of VMs  would be around the vRAM capacity of 192GB total across those 3 servers.

"to virtualize three physical servers" means to install ESXi on three physical host servers.

"To virtualize about 20 physical servers" means you want to convert these from physical to virtual.

The terminilogy is sometimes fun.

I have multiple sites using Essentials and running way more than 3 VMs on them.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com