VMware Cloud Community
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

How to check if the server is running?

Hi,

I installed the vSphere/vCenter packages from the website. I can connect to my ESXi server using vSphere client but I noticed that in the installation bundle, there was no such thing as "vcenter server". I have got vCenter client orchestrator but I am not sure if that's is vCenter server.

Can any body point me how to verify that i have properly installed vCenter server?

Thanks,

Omer

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

The vCenter Server needs an installation. Didn't you come across that?

There should be a server running the vCenter Server services, a local database or an ODBC connector to an remote database. You need to connect to this server with the vCenter client instead of connecting to the ESX(i) server.

Just enter its IP address or NetBIOS name instead of the one from the ESX(i) server.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have vCenter Orchestrator installed. Is this vCenter Server? I checked that vCenter Service is running under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> vCenter.

When I launch vCenter Orchestrator, it opens up a web page on the local host and shows me all the configuration. On the left side, there are number of options and some of them have red ball (i am assuming not working).

The database option is also switched off, and when I checked in it. No database is defined although I have MS SQL Server is running.

Please see the attached picture.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Orchestrator is an add-on to vCenter.

Open the vSpherte client, enter the IP address of the server where the vCenter service is running and log on with a user who has local admin rights on that particular server. What happens?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Use that: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the link and giving me the hint to use vSphere client to connect to the server. I have done so, and was able to log in. I created a datacenter and added my ESXi host in it which I used to manage independently through vSphere client.

What I have been trying to do is to set up View Manager; I already have set up a View Composer and Connection server, the next step is to define a VM template and to install an application. Any ideas on that?

Thank you again!

Cheers,

Omer

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

View Manager: 9150_9150.gif

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net