VMware Cloud Community
LB1
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to edit VM config for next reboot?

I need to edit all my VM configs but i dont want to shut them down, edit them, and power them on.

It would be MUCH faster to edit the configs while they are online and then schedule a reboot in task scheduler for the edits to take effect.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

Do you want the changes to only take effect upon reboot?

You could look into powershell or even using the vmware-cmd commands depending on what you actually want to change.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
LB1
Contributor
Contributor

The changes i need to make can only take effect on reboot.

RAM, # of CPUs, etc.

It would make sense to allow use to make these changes in VC and tell us that a reboot is required.

Furthermore it would be great to have them ask us if we want to schedule the reboot of the Guest Operating System and Power Cyle of the Vm at a particular time.

I would be happy with merely making changes while online that took effect once the VM was powercycled.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

I usually tell my students to imagine what you can add to a physical machine whilst it is running.

And that should give you an indication on what you can add to a virtual machine whilst it is running too.

Except disks, where this is more like presenting a LUN to a physical server, which we can do whilst the server is online.

Just as an example, you can increase RAM to 2GB to a vm by powershell very easily.

Get-vm | set-vm -MemoryMB 2048

This adds the memory to the vm, but the Guest OS will only see it on reboot.

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
LB1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i am familiar with what can/cant be added while running.

I was looking for a way to make these alterations without installing more software. (powershell)

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

you could manually edit the VMX file. the fact is that hot changing of the guest within VC is restricted. if you want to change the guest on the fly and reboot later the only option is to use notepad, vmware-cmd or powershell etc

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos