VMware Cloud Community
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating from VC2.0.2 to 2.5

We plan to migrate from VC 2.0.2 to VC 2.5 U2. Can we go straight to VCU2? Are there any 'gotchas' we sould be aware of? We're a little hesitant to go to U3. Any recommendations?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the most important thing:

backup your vc database for the worst case and have a fall back Smiley Wink ...

my experience:

in most cases it wasn't a problem but if the database was greater than 2GB the database migration @ performance & event data failed mostly Smiley Sad --> workaround: if you don't need the data drop it during migration wizard!

if you use MSDE Database you must upgrade it first to MSSQL 2005 Expess.

bg six

Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

Just in case you havent got this doc

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35u2/vi3_35_25_u2_upgrade_guide.pdf

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info - what upgrade path did you take?

0 Kudos
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry I don't understand your question Smiley Sad ...

0 Kudos
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you migrate from 2.0.2 to 2.5 what update?

0 Kudos
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes from 2.0.2 to 2.5 update2

0 Kudos
NYSDHCR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How is iVC 2.5 U2 performing? Any issues?

0 Kudos
six
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

my biggest datacenter inventory includes: 6esx servers in one cluster with ~ 100 running vm's and there the vc 2.5 u2 performs very well. I don't know how big is your datacenter Smiley Wink ...

bg six

0 Kudos
Daniyalis
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I successfully upgraded from VC 2.0.2 UP5 to VC 2.0.5 UP3 without any problem but have to follow all the steps in the guide. Should take a backup of the database before upgrade becuase for some or the other reason if by chance (which happened to me) the upgraded doesnt work, first thing that will be affected most is your database and a simple restore will save your skin.

But also should remember any customized changes that you have made in your old Virtual Center env. like customizing the VC system files, etc., this is require because all the customization will be reset to system default after upgrade.

0 Kudos