VMware Cloud Community
J_Wood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Non-disruptive migration of ESX to new vCenter server.

What would be the recommended steps to complete a non-disruptive migration of an ESX host to a new vCenter server? I have been unsuccessful in finding any documentation on this. For some reason I seem to remember that with previous version of Virtual Center (1.x and 2.x) that the host had to be in maintenance mode before it could be removed from the management server.

I need to move ESX 3.5 and 4.0 hosts to a new vCenter 4.0.1 management server.

James Wood, VCP

Senior Systems Administrator | Arizona Department of Transportation | Phoenix, Arizona

James Wood, VCP
Senior Systems Administrator | Arizona Department of Transportation | Phoenix, Arizona
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can simply disconnect and remove host. Then add host into new environment. This will not impact any of your running guests. If moving your VI3 Hosts, just ensure you have the license server available.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can simply disconnect and remove host. Then add host into new environment. This will not impact any of your running guests. If moving your VI3 Hosts, just ensure you have the license server available.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Disconnect host (right click disconnect).

Remove Host from old datacenter.

Login to host, run service mgmt-vmware restart.

wait for the host to calm down for a bit, then attach it the new vCenter.

You may get a complaint that it belongs to an older vCenter, ignore it.

That's pretty much it. It should work fine.

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Things have gotten much with going form VI-3 to vSphere - since vCenter 4 can manage ESX 3.5 servers with no loss of duntionality - check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_upgrade_guide.pdf for detailed steps on how to move to vSphere-

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
J_Wood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response, I have begun to expect nothing less in these forums... Smiley Happy And, yes: the license server for the ESX 3.x hosts is already in place.

James Wood, VCP
0 Kudos