VMware Cloud Community
Vodder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Permissions - Want to set full admin rights on one host in the datacenter

I saw the answer to this a few weeks back but can't it for .... ?:|

Basically I need to apply full admin rights to a couple of users to one of the hosts in the datacenter. They need to have full control over everything on that host including the VM's but no rights on any other VM's or hosts in that datacenter and certainly no rights in any other datacenters in VC.

I already gave the them the "administrator" role defined from the host they need to access but I'm now told that they cannot view anything on datastore or network. In the VM's they can add disks but not remove them and if they try and edit one of the disks they get 'Vmomi.Fault.NoPermission'.

I read somewhere that you have to apply separate permissions at the datacenter level for the storage?

Thanks

Tim

@timgleed | VCAP5-DCA/DCD | VCAP4-DCA/DCD | VCP5 | VCP4 | VCP3 | VCP4-DT | VCA4-DT | VTSP4 | MCITP | PRINCE2 | ITIL | BSc Hons
0 Kudos
2 Replies
chill
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The administrator permission should've given them all the permissions they need. Look at the permissions at the Virtual Machine level and check and see what is set there. Ensure that it is the administrator permission and not just Virtual Machine administrator or Datacentre administrator as these permissions you need to expand Datastore to add file management etc.....

If you find this information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
hicksj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You may only need to grant the Read Only role at your Data Center, being sure to uncheck the "Propagate" option.

There is also the possibility that you might need to create a custom Role instead of using Read Only, assigning "Virtual Machine > Configuration > Add New Disk" and assign this to the Data Center. (again, no propagate!)

Further info on disk management can be found in , page 6.

0 Kudos