VMware Cloud Community
ejacobs
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with second SSO install - error 29126

Upgraded one vcenter (installing SSO and uograding inventory and vcenter) successfully. On our other site, the SSO install keeps failing after almost finishing. "Error: 29126: Cannot resolve hostname to required IP address type". I keep fooling around with DNS but the problem persists. I have a support request in but haven't received much help so far.

1. Anyone else experienced this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

2. Currently we have one vcenter at 5.1 and one at 5.0. This appears to be causing a few problems. Could I possibly upgrade the second vcenter using the first one's SSO server? And, if that works and later we get second SSO server working, can I repoint second vcenter to it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bigi201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure reverse DNS lookup works. Do you have IPv6 enabled?

Once you have one SSO Server you can point another vCenter to that SSO Server but if something happens to that SSO Server both of your vCenter Servers will not be able to login into.

0 Kudos
ejacobs
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that may have been problem. It is now fixed. I installed a new VM using different DNS servers and was successful in installing SSO on that

0 Kudos
Garoot
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue and can do reverse lookups from both my VC's in different sites to their IP address's and host names using nslookup.

I have also checked that my DNS has an A record and that each VC is pointing to their respective DNS servers and those servers have both the forward and reverse lookups.

Besides rebuilding a new server (As mine is a physical box in our DR) has anyone found any work arounds for this?

I know I can obviously build up a new VC and point it to my primary SSO but that kind of defeats the point of what I'm trying to do which is having two sites that aren't completely reliant on each other.

Please provide anything you think may be worth trying

0 Kudos
GalNeb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure that your tcp/ip properties in SQL server are set properly to enabled on the port:

SQL Server Configuration Manager

SQL Server Network Configuration

Protocols for <name of sql server>

TCP/IP  --> Properties

IP Addresses

Must show Enabled for the IP address of the server and TCP Dynamic Ports = 0

Restart SQL service

Old enough to know better, young enough to try anyway
0 Kudos