VMware Cloud Community
cspann7
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Plugin Manager (404)

All,

I found a couple of other threads, but never a solution on this. I have installed vCenter 2.5 Update 3 and then Update 4 (Upgraded, problem persisted, so I started fresh again) and I am still having this issue.. When I launch the VI client and go to download and install a plugin, I get an error "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not found." This happens for Update Manager or VMware Converter Enterprise and happens form a workstation or the vCenter server.. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

make sure the windowsd firewalll is disabled on your workstation -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cspann7
Contributor
Contributor

Firewall is off on the vCenter server and workstations, this error occurs from the local vCenter server when connecting to "localhost" as well as using FQDN local and remote. I should mention there is a second NIC on the vCenter server configured for backups, but the Web Interface for vCenter seems to work fine, so I was not going to start blaming Tomcat yet...

0 Kudos
cspann7
Contributor
Contributor

Just in case someone else stumbles upon this thread, I ended up removing the Update manager and Converter installations from the vCenter server and doing a fresh install of just those two components form the install media for vCenter. This seems to have resolved this issue and the plugins appear to work as expected. Very strange.

0 Kudos
aviwollman
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. uninstall and reinstall was my only answer also.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Even though this thread has already been marked as answered, I want to add the solution I found. Maybe someone can resolve the issue without reinstalling.

Installation:

Virtual Center 2.5 Update 4

Hosts: ESX 3.5 Update 4

Binaries on drive C:

Update Repository on Drive E:

Issues:

- Error 404 when trying to install the Update Manager Plugin

- Error when checking for updates on an ESX host ("event.com.vmware.vcIntegrity.MetadataNotFound.fullFormat")

Solution:

In "vci-integrity.xml" the path to the repository contained the drive letter "e:" in lower case.

What I did was:

- stop the Update Manager service

- replace "e:" with "E:"

- start Update Manager service

I assume the Apache web server works case sensitive and therefore could not find the path to the downloaded updates!?

Regards

a.p.

0 Kudos
ewgny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, the uninstall and reinstall worked

0 Kudos
cxo
Contributor
Contributor

Although answered, I want to put in my "plight" for this same issue. I upgraded to vCenter 2.5 update 5 (from 2.5u3) and also upgraded VUM. Same 404 issues. I tried uninstalling and re-installing like suggestions on this thread as well as update "e:\" to "E:\" as well as turning on that web server "enable" = true. No luck. Then I updated the VIC on my desktop. This was the charm.

Again, FWIW.

0 Kudos
CptnTrips
Contributor
Contributor

Thought I would put my two cents in on this as well. Several of this ran across this problem in a vSphere Install and Config class. The resolution is simle. During the installation of the Converter (or other plugins, it's not just a problem with a single plugin) when you come to the window asking where your server is, you must specify a FQDN. The installation will default to the IP address of the server. This is apparently the problen. If you reinstall and use the FQDN, you should have no problems.

0 Kudos
lb1980
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with the latest vCenter & vSphere client builds (vCenter 4.0.0 Build 183347 & vSphere 4.0.0 Build 162856).

To fix my problem I uninstalled and re-installed vCenter Converter and Update Manager. I made sure to specify the FQDN when I reinstalled. After that everything worked fine.

I attempted to simply change the path in the vci-integrity.xml, but the path was already specified as E: not e:.

Leslie

0 Kudos
Bastien_P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also if you use the fqdn in the login of the vcenter it work. I didnt had to re-install it on the server. A short fix but at least for now its working.

Remember: If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Remember: If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos