VMware Cloud Community
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SQL server for VirtualCenter Physical or Virtual???

Hello:

I was going to convert my SQL server to VM, but recognized that it’s hosting also DB for VC.

Will be there any conflict if SQL Database for VC is VM that resides on this VC?

Does anybody know what is the recommended (best) practice physical or virtual machine for SQL server?

Will I have a problem if I need to restore my SQL server? I am using vRanger, so looks that I should be able to restore even my VC will be down…

Thanks,

olegarr

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bastien_P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

we have our sql2k5 on a virtual machine and our virtual center configured to go on that server.  No problem whatsoever.  The only downside is when you need to make maintenance/patch on the ESX (or complete shutdown of the server room where no VMotion is possible).  Since the DB of the virtual center is on the ESX... You cant use the Virtual center to shut down the host where the sql reside and you have to open the SQL first to be able to log on the Virtual center.  In brief, it mean that when you have to close servers and you finally shut down to the sql; the last esx host is either downed by putty/ilo or you use the virtual client and login directly to that host.  And when you restart everything.. you have to start the SQL by login the virtual client in the esx host directly... Then everything back to normal.  For the rest, it run flawlessly.

Remember: If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Remember: If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
JonRoderick
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When all's said and done, it's probably less of a hassle if you run your SQL DB on a physical box - putting absolutely everything into VI leaves you just a little bit too exposed I think - I'm sure others will disagree.

Jon

Bastien_P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well... we have a similar situation with our new switch to microsoft (we are a novell house).. Do we put all DC in VMs or not?

It come back to try to having a homogene environnement/working on a budget.

If you have the budget and want to play extra safe.. put it on a physical (but.... that`s the case for most server no? Smiley Happy ).

Nway just wanted to share that... yes a VC can run on a virtual SQL without any problem. But you do have some additionnal operation to do when you shut down the ESX.

cheers.

0 Kudos
olegarr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you guys.

I really appreciate your help.

Good luck,

Olegarr

0 Kudos