VMware Cloud Community
CCSL
Contributor
Contributor

Single Sign forgot master password

I'm in the process of replacing the vCenter default SSL certs. For Single Sign On server you need the master password (whether I use the manual process or the SSL automation tool) which I do not have. I have the admin@system-domain password. Is there any way round this or do I need to re-install SSL? If I have to re-install SSO do I need to recreate the SQL database as well or can I reconnect to the existing DB?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

the master password is the password you configured for admin@system-domain in the initial SSO setup. If the admin@system-domain password is changed afterwards, the master password will not change with it. So it's still the inital setup password.

I don't know of any supported way to reset the master password without reinstalling SSO.

Regards

0 Kudos
CCSL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll be re-installing SSO then. Do you know if I need to recreate the SQL DB as well?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

You can keep the vCenter and Update Manager DB, but need to create a new SSO DB.

If I was in your position, I would think about doing a fresh vCenter 5.5 install. 5.5 is available for download since today and the SSO had some big changes. For example you don't need a seperate DB anymore.

Regards

0 Kudos
CCSL
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advise. I'm not able to install vCenter 5.5. This is a Live environment so the least disruption possible, Obviously I wont be able to sign in to vCenter after uninstalling SSO until it has been re-installed. I assume I'll then to re-register the inventory service and vCenter with SSO?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not best friend with SSO, so can anyone please confirm the following:

I think the whole vCenter environment needs to be uninstalled and installed again?! (With the option of keeping the old vCenter DB)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Another solution is to upgrade your current 5.1 SSO to 5.5 SSO. 5.5 SSO will work with VC 5.1 as backward compatibility. This way, you can avoid the SSO DB from 5.1 and solve the password lost issue and no need to reinstall vCenter server immediately. 5.5 SSO just released yesterday.

0 Kudos