VMware Cloud Community
DJRyan920
Contributor
Contributor

Storage VMotion Exchange 2010

We have a very basic Exchange 2010 environment. 2 CAS servers and a single mailbox server. Due to storage we need to move to a larger storage volume. I know any type of VMotion is not supported when running DAG. Is it safe to do an online storage vmotion of our single mailbox server though? I couldn't run across anyone else that has posed this question before.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

No experience with Exchange 2010.   But I have Svmotioned some really really big Exchange 2007 servers and have never had an issue yet.

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I think people have a tendency to over think things.. you can do storage vMotion on *ANY* VM at *ANY* time.  The VM will snapshot, and ALL writes are sent to the NEW location until the vMotion is complete, then it commits the changes from the OLD location.. It's not really a big deal.

The guest OS has NO clue that a migration is even done.. and it will not disrupt your data.  This is why it's VERY important for VM Tools to be up to date, the shadow service will perform better, other than that, you shouldn't worry about it.

DJRyan920
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys! I really had no worries...just wanted to make sure someone else has done it since I haven't actually S-Vmotioned Excahange but I have SQL and pretty much everything else we have with no issues.

0 Kudos