VMware Cloud Community
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to install integrated converter with VC

I have VC 2.5 U2 running and I want to install converter but I get the following message when trying to proceed through the wizard.

"Please provide a valure for all the required fields"

I've provided the IP address of the VC, the port (443) a local admin username & password.

What else could I need to provide?

I'm launching this installation using the VC CD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you mount the vc cd on the virtual center windows server. From the converter folder, run vmware-converter.exe. There should be a couple of logs contained in the %temp% called vminst.log and vmceservermsi.log.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you try installation using the plugin manager? That should automatically have that information, as opposed to using the exe manually.

-KjB

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it's not the plugin i require, but the entire product.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should download the standalone Enterprise version of Converter, it will probably be an easier install if you don't require the plugin

http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, the install should produce a log under %temp%. Have you checked there to see if there is a log entry to give you more detail than the error message? I prefer to use the standalone version of converter as well, but the install for converter enterprise went well.

-KjB

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There are no log files created in %temp% that I can see during this installation.

Regarding the standalone version, it's a thought, but this isn't what I need. Having the ability to right click an object within VC and perform and import is great for VCB restores.

Also, isn't the integrated version (4.0) supporting more linux disto's than the standalone version? At least I though I read that somewhere once the Beta for 4.0 starting moving out.

Either way, I don't really want a work around, I'd rather try to resolve this issue and get the thing working.

Thanks for you help so far though.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you mount the vc cd on the virtual center windows server. From the converter folder, run vmware-converter.exe. There should be a couple of logs contained in the %temp% called vminst.log and vmceservermsi.log.

-KjB

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gotcha, thanks.

Found the log and it said something about a reboot being required. Am doing this now and will try again in a moment.

0 Kudos
thomps01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorted.

Would you adam and eve it! I just needed to reboot VirtualCenter.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos