VMware Cloud Community
walterD
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to patch/update due to slow network

Hello,

I have a central VC 4.0 with remote VMware host server. The one on the same site as the VC give no problem, but the one on the remote sites,

always give timeout on staging/remdiate. I already followed the guidelines in the VMWare knowledge base (edit the vpxd.cfg on the VC server and the VMWare host) but still the time out. Is ther another way to get updates installed to these VM Hosts, because I wanted to bring them up to date with the update 2, before bringing them into production.

All advise on this is welcome, an getting urgent Smiley Happy

Version used :

VMware ESX 4.0.0 build-171294

VMware vCenter Server 4.0.0 build 208111

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You can use esxupdate. I blogged a set of simplified instructions for this.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
walterD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Following your blog I run into the following error :

Encountered error FileIOError

error data is :

filename - none

message - I/O Error (28) on file : no space left on device

Errno - 10

Description - Unable to create, write or read a file as expected

When I give the command vdf -h get following result

Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdc5 4.9G 4.8G 0 100% /

/dev/sbd1 1.1G 75M 952M 8% /boot

/dev/sdc2 2.0G 54M 1.8G 3% /var/log

I've created a directory under /var/ and called it Updates

Moved the file over to this directory....and when I stage the file I already get the above error...

The size of the zip is 794516 KB big .. and as far as I can see on the /dev/sdc2 I have 1.8G free ... ?

Any help is very very welcome

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

In the Patch Management Guide, there are more specific free space requirements listed:

• The / partition directory has at least 50MB of free space.

• The disk space allocated to the service console has an amount of free space that is twice the size of the bulletin to be installed.

Looks like the / partition might be missing the required free space, as it is reporting 100% full.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
walterD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Could that be of the previous times i tried the staging from the VC.

And how can I free up disk space then ... because else I can never upgrade this machine ...

Any idea ??

Thx for your support

0 Kudos
walterD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Found the cause of my problem. When staging the updates and patches from the VC to the remote ESX Host, there where to many files,

and the disk was full, hence the timeout ....

Found the the files on the disk, removed them all, and manually patched the servers. Bingo no problem.

Lesson learned : limit the number of file/updates/patches, beter to patch 3 or 4 times then all at once Smiley Happy

thx to those who replied

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for posting your resolution.

0 Kudos