VMware Cloud Community
titomane
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to start VC service after reinstall

ok guy, here I come with my "unable to start VC service"... after upgrading to ESX 3.5u2, i saw that i need to homogenize (is it english ?) my VC with this and decided to upgrade 2.5u2... well it didn't work like I wanted ! my DB admin asked me to reinstall everything so did I ! and with this we installed VC DB on a brand new SQLserver 2005. And it didn't work. I can't even restart my VC (hopefully all is full backuped but since I have a few time before roll back and since i need to patch VC in U2...).

So here I come with my vpxd.log :

Log for VMware VirtualCenter, pid=1428, version=2.5.0, build=build-104215, option=Release, section=2

Current working directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32

HOSTINFO: Seeing Intel CPU, numCoresPerCPU 2 numThreadsPerCore 1.

HOSTINFO: This machine has 1 physical CPUS, 2 total cores, and 2 logical CPUs.

Log path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

Initializing SSL

Using system libcrypto, version 90709F

Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 120000000

Starting VMware VirtualCenter 2.5.0 build-104215

Log directory: C:\Documents and Settings\vcadministrator\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx.

Account name: vcadministrator

Enabled low-frag process heap.

Enabled low-frag crt heap.

34 max LROs

6 reserved internal LROs

6 reserved blocker LROs

6 reserved short LROs

4 reserved long LROs

600-second task lifetime

ODBC error: (28000) - [SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Échec de l'ouverture de session de l'utilisateur ''. L'utilisateur n'est pas associé à une connexion SQL Server approuvée.

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

-

the strange thing about this is that install was good since the totally empty DB was populated. My DBA asked me (well forced me Smiley Happy to use a local account for connection (local to its sql2005 srv), so i'm wondering if it's not here that i have some probs. I saw that the good account is configured in registry (without the "<DBserverName>\" stuff)

any help before i decide to be too rude with my dba will be appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanx,

thomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

Look like more with a SQL issue than a VC issue.

You can look at this

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN-FR/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1654679&SiteID=12

Semble une version francaise alors... en bon Quebecois...

vérifie que tu as bien indiqué que le mode d'authentification est sur Windows ET SQL Server.

Jon

0 Kudos
titomane
Contributor
Contributor

thx for your answer. I'd rather talk in english because i want to be understood by eveybody here, it can help someone one day !

So it was an SQL problem as expected. My DBA certified that we had to install the DB with a non SQL but windows account. Apparently, it's good for installing but not for running the VC service so after creating a new true SQL account just with read/write access on the DB and assigning it to the ODBC connection, it worked !

So my question is answered Smiley Happy

Thomas

0 Kudos