VMware Cloud Community
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5 Upgrade to Update 1 failed no VC will not start

During the upgrade of Virtual Center 2.5 to update 1, the installer prompted me to insert DISK 1. I canceled the install and the installer backed out the install. Now the VirtualCenter Server service will not start. The event viewer is reporting an event id 7024 "The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated with service-specific error 2 (0x2)."

Thanks in advance,

BOH

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor

Messages from the vpxd.log file on the VirtualCenter Server:

Locale subsystem initialized from C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\locale/ with default locale en.

Initializing SSL Contexts

Setting VerifySSLCertificates to FALSE

Local Domain : LOCAL

IsWorkgroup: No

Local Machine: VirtualCenter

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.category' expected in module 'event'.

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.fullFormat' expected in module 'event'.

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.formatOnDatacenter' expected in module 'event'.

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.formatOnComputeResource' expected in module 'event'.

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.formatOnHost' expected in module 'event'.

Default resource used for 'LicenseRestrictedEvent.formatOnVm' expected in module 'event'.

Diagnostic server root (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\docRoot\diagnostics) does not exist!

Failed to intialize VMware VirtualCenter. Shutting down...

Forcing shutdown of VMware VirtualCenter now

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At what stage of the install/upgrade did you cancel it?

You will probably find it quicker to uninstall VC etc if you can and re-install it and see how you get on....

If that doesn't work... might need to restore your database.... it's hard to say without looking further into those error logs.

0 Kudos
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor

I am able to get the Virtual Center running again. I needed to manually create the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\docRoot\diagnostics.

The install of VC Update 1 was done via the ISO. Once the install started I was prompted to insert DISK 1. Not sure what media it was looking for I exited the install.

BOH

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Glad to hear you are up and running. That's a strange error! And also the prompt for disc 1????

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Did your update still fail or were you successful?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
NattyBoh
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to complete the install once the files were moved from the CD to the local disk.

0 Kudos