VMware Cloud Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

VC move to new hardware

I have built up a new server for VC. It is running Windows 2003 with 4gig ram. The VC will also house the license server. Our current VC is running SQL 2000. would like to run SQL 2005 on new VC. Would I have have any version issues moving the database over from 2000 to 2005?

On the move itself. Can someone outline the steps to detach the database and attach it to the new VC? Assume I just copy over the lic files.

Craig

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

On the move itself. Can someone outline the steps to detach the database and attach it to the new VC?

That pretty much sums it up. Change the ODBC to point to the new server/table.

On the upgrade of the database, you should build a NEW DB, export the data from the old one, and AFTER you install the VC (it will create the DB) import the data and start the VC service.

That's pretty much it, the Database is on a separate server, right?

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No you shouldn't have any compatability concerns .

This maybe of help....

http://communities.vmware.com/message/796062

In regards to licensing - yes copy the license file to the new license file, re-read the file and obviously make sure it is being referenced via VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

Planning on installing SQL 2005 on the VC itself. The current VC has SQL 2000 on itself. So my plan is to install SQL 2005. Do you select mix mode. Don't recall.

Then install VC. Don't recall if you install the license server separate before VC.Thought so if I recall.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I personally would try and keep SQL and VirtualCenter on seperate servers unless you are in a very small environment and you don't have any other choices.....

Select Mixed Mode.

When you use the typical VC install - the license server is installed also.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

I could run another server for VC SQL. We are not all that big so I don't think its needed just now.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor

For know I plan to keep the SQL database and VC on same hardware. Going back to original question. If my database stays with the VC. My old VC has SQL 2000 on it. My new VC will have SQL 2005. When detaching the database to attach to new server. Will there be compatibilty issue with the SQL 2000 database going on a SQL 2005 server? Will I need to update the SQL server on old VC prior to moving the database?

Craig

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

This KB, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7960893 , may be helpful

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've migrated several SQL 2000 VC databases to SQL 2005 without issues. No you don't need to update your old SQL 2000 on your current VC box.

0 Kudos