VMware Cloud Community
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

VCenter System Memory Alert Hardware Status Tab

There is a "system memory Alert" in the hardware status tab of my VCenter, there is no problem with the hardware because I enter the IBM's IMM (Integrated Managment Module) and the server does NOT indicate a fault in the DIMM or memory slots or something that indicates a physical memory problem.

At this point my guess it's a VMware problem, but as I log on directly to the ESX Host, there is no such alert in the Configuration>Health Status section, I reset the managment services thinking it's some kind of VCenter-ESX Host problem, but the alarm continues in the VCenter

The Alarm it's a root directory on the DIMM's section as you can see at the screenshot...Snapshot1.JPG

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried resetting the sensors on the Hardware Status tab for the host to see if that clears it up?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
benjarrell
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem, only with a Cisco UCS system.

0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I have tried reseting the sensor, from the VCenter and directly from the ESX host

0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

I have 3 more ESX Host's like this, and they don't report this kind of problem

0 Kudos
BillN2
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same issue with some of my B200 M1 blades.  I had memory faults and replaced the DIMM's.  All is showing clear in the UCS GUI but still seeing this Alert in vSphere 5.

0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

The thing is that I have in the inventory 6 ESX hosts, which 5 are ver. 4.0 and only one 5.0, the other four 4.0 don't have this problem and neither the 5.0

The only thing I want to know it's that this error it's some kind of BUG of VMware, and there is no risk, i can live with the Alert turn ON

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It must be a bug with ESXi 5. I had an ECC problem with one of my UCS blades. I replaced the RAM and UCS reports all happy, but vCenter Hardware status still shows the Memory alert. I've reset and updated the status but it doesn't clear. There must be some counter in vCenter that needs to be reset. Anyone get a resolution on this yet?

0 Kudos
iforbes
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just came across this post that resolved the issue:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/329248

Scroll down to Simon's resolution. That worked for me.

0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

The solution was a faulty HDD in the server, that didn't was a Alert, it  only said that was a "Predictive Failure", the HDD was replace by the  manufacture and the error went away, thaks to everybody who kindly  responded

0 Kudos
dsaydon
Contributor
Contributor

Try this KB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=206109...

this command helped me: /etc/init.d/sfcbd-watchdog restart

0 Kudos