VMware Cloud Community
craigal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Center Upgrade 2.5u1 to 2.5u3 to new server name

We are currently running VC 2.5u1. The same server is also running update Manager, the license server and well as the database for both of these on SQL 2005.

We want to move all of this to a new Server as well as upgrade to VC 2.5u3. The server name will be different.

I have installed a fresh copy of VC 2.5u3 and all related components on the new server using a local copy of SQL 2005 SP2.

What I am trying to do is to copy the database to the new server. I am testing the process before I do the actual cut-over to the new server.

So far I have done the following

1. On the old server perform an SQL backup of the virtual center database

2. On the new server, I restored this database over the existing virtual center database

3. On the new server I ran the Database Upgrade Wizard with the following command
    VCDatabaseUpgrade.exe DSN=VirtualCenter MINORDBUPGRADE=1
    This ran OK

4. I was able to then start the Virtual Center service on the new server. I ran the VI client on the new server and all of the data seemed to be there. This new server was off the network so all of the ESX hosts reported as being offline.

The problem I have now if I try to install the plugins such as Update Manager it fails with a message saying that the old server is unreachable.

Obviously there is still a reference to the old VC server name in the database. I am concerned that there will be other references that may cause problems.

I could reconfigure the new VC from scratch but I would like to retain the existing performance data and configuration information.

Is there a better way of performing this sort of upgrade/migration

0 Kudos
0 Replies