VMware Cloud Community
barbarakovacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vsphere essential kit license usage

If I have 3 vmware hosts, but all on 3 separate networks. Can I apply the same vsphere essential kit license to these 3 separate hosts. Keep in mind that I only want to manage one of them with vcenter the other two is just fine with only the ESXi. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From my understanding, you can assign the same license key to all three hosts. All you need to take care of, is that you do not assign more licenses then covered by the Essentials Kit.

Please note that restriction may apply, if the hosts are used in different countries, or by different parts/locations of your company.

André

View solution in original post

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From my understanding, you can assign the same license key to all three hosts. All you need to take care of, is that you do not assign more licenses then covered by the Essentials Kit.

Please note that restriction may apply, if the hosts are used in different countries, or by different parts/locations of your company.

André

barbarakovacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your answer!

I also received an answer from the customer support on this topic, but they said that ": As the description says we can use the license key for 3 host with 6CPU's but not for
different networks".
So I assume, that I will have to purchase x3 the Essentials Kit. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly do you consider "different networks"?

André

0 Kudos
barbarakovacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I mean by that different domains. 

0 Kudos
barbarakovacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update:

VMWare CS said, that you are allowed to use the licenses on different domains - but you will be able to only manage one of them with the vCenter - so at the end, your first answer was correct, André.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

vSphere doesnt care about "Domains" when it comes to licensing.  In total you are allowed to split your installation up to 3 single Hosts and ONE instance of vCenter.

Depends on where you are  living there might be geographical restriction about how fare away  you can setup and run your hosts when it comes to a different country. Such restrictions doesnt apply within the EU for example.

Regards,
Joerg

barbarakovacs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you - appreciated, Joerg!

0 Kudos