VMware Cloud Community
sdog
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2008 R2 vm fails to export using vConverter plugin

We have vCenter 4.0 Update 1 with vConverter 4.0. This manages a vSphere 4.0 (non updated) cluster with a few Windows 2008 R2 Servers.

When I try to export this VM, i get an error stating "Unable to determine Guest Operating System". Is this because my hosts have not been updated to vSphere 4.0 Update 1?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

W2K8 R2 is only officially supported with U1 for vSphere4, which may be part of the problem. However sometimes you may get that error if the OS of the guest is identified differently than what is actually installed.

If you edit settings of the guest and go to the Options tab. What does it say for the Guest OS?

0 Kudos
sdog
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

I remember this used to be experimental, which leads me to believe I may have to install update 1 on all the vSphere 4.0 hosts.

0 Kudos
sdog
Contributor
Contributor

I moved this VM to a host that DOES have update 1 installed and I still get the same error "Unable to determine Guest Operating System". Here is the last couple lines of the vConverter Agent log.

SSLVerifyCertAgainstSystemStore: Certificate verification is disabled, so connection will proceed despite the error

Task failed: P2VError UNABLE_TO_DETERMINE_GUEST_OS()

Below are the last few lines from the vCenter Server converter logs.

ManagedDiskSpec: Name=[DS_VM_LUN170_2MB] Serge_TEST/Serge_TEST.vmdk

Unable to read OS info from system disk: vmodl.fault.SystemError

VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.UnableToDetermineGuestOs VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task: SetState to error

object explicitly disposed: VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task VmiQuerySourceInfoTask::task being destroyed

0 Kudos
fdcpinto
Contributor
Contributor

Export for Windows server 2008 R2 is stil not supported by Vmware.

Filipe D. C. Pinto

Filipe D. C. Pinto
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try Converter 3.0.3 instead - I have seen at least one success-report

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
ObermeierJC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I actually had a related issue when importing VMs from our old vCenter 2.5 U6 into our new vCenter 4.0 U1 using vCenter Converter (for vCenter Server 4.0 Update 1).

As previously mentioned here this most likely does not work as Windows Server 2008 R2 (same for Windows 7) is not supported (not even by the lates) vCenter Converter yet. ?:|

Just changing the OS in the VM settings from 2008 R2 to 2008 64bit on the source VM did the trick for me to get the import working. :smileycool:

I will change it back to 2008 R2 on the source and target VM once the import is completed.

I hope this might help someone sometime!

JC

0 Kudos
stevetownsend
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me. Although I had to change it 2003. 2008 still didn't work.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Steve Townsend

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK 2008 R2 is now supported with Converter 5 - its time to retire the vCenter plugin

0 Kudos