VMware Cloud Community
jamesruffo
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 7 patching

Can I apply a patch twice?  I have patched my vCenter 7.0.3 to build 22357613 (.001700) but it is not working properly and I am unable to get to VAMI.  I was wondering if I could apply the patch again in the hopes that it would work correctly this time.  I tried getting to the shell to see what services were running but I have an error with the Python library environment variable that does not allow service-control to work.  I also tried chsh command but I get a permission error even though I am logged in as root.  Any help would be appreciated.  I have already updated my vSAN hosts to 7.0.3o, so reverting to the backed up version of my vCenter might cause issues.  

3 Replies
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It is not going to accept the running of the patch a second time. When it checks the current system, it will see it is at the same version. Did you by chance take a snapshot of the vCenter server before performing the upgrade? This gives you a snapshot to rollback to in the event of a problem. The second option, which is part of the upgrade process, was to take a backup of vCenter to rollback to. This way, you can roll back to the previous version and try the upgrade again. 

0 Kudos
Camero
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Upgrade your vcenter to the latest Patch version 7.0.3.01800. This should be shown on the VAMI update page.

btw, ESX host patch level  has no bearing on vCenter patch - treat it as any appliance just running on the ESXi host.

0 Kudos
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI, perhaps your installation is not finished correctly, doublecheck the software_update_state.conf

The software_update_state.conf also shows install in progress:
{
    "state": "INSTALL_IN_PROGRESS",
    "version": "7.0.3.01700",
    "latest_query_time": "sometime here _ Z",
    "operation_id": "/storage/core/software-update/install_operation"
}

In order to resolve the issue perform the following:

Login to the appliance using ssh
Create a backup copy of the file /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf in a different location, e.g. in /storage/core:

# cp /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf /storage/core/software_update_state.conf

Stop the VAMI service by running the command:

# service-control --stop applmgmt

Remove the file /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf:
# rm -i /etc/applmgmt/appliance/software_update_state.conf

change into the folder /var/log/vmware/upgrade:
# cd /var/log/vmware/upgrade

verify that the following 3 files exist in this folder:

prechecks-succeeded
export-succeeded
import-succeeded

If these files do not exist, run the following 3 commands to create them:

# touch prechecks-succeeded