VMware Cloud Community
Skolnick2011101
Contributor
Contributor

vShield Endpoint isn't installing correctly

Hello,

I wanted to check if my recent installation of vShield Endpoints was done correctly. I read around and found that the vShield Endpoint modifies your VM's .vmx file, adding the following lines:

– VFILE.globaloptions = "svmip=169.254.50.39 svmport=8888"

– scsi0:0.filters = "VFILE“

I noticed that I dont have these two lines in my .vmx. Which leads me to believe that the installation failed at some point or I did something wrong. So I was wondering is there any way to verify the installation? I also wanted to ask, what adds these two lines to the .vmx file? Is it the installation of vShield Endpoints on the ESX or is it the installation of the vShield Endpoint Driver on the VM?

Also I try to run a "sc query" on the vfilefilter and vfilescsifilter and both come up as not installed services. As if the Endpoint Driver filter didn't actually install. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jstick1122
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We don't add entries to the VMX file until a 3rd party Service Virtual Machine is installed. I'm not sure what version of vShield you are using, but vShield 4.1 works with Trend Micro Deep Security 7.5. After that is installed correctly then you will see the lines added to the VMX.

If you run this command on the ESX/ESXi hosts, this will tell you if Endpoint from a VMware perspective is installed correctly on the host.

esxupdate query | grep -i vShield

I'm not sure about your last question. Which version of vShield Manager and the Endpoint thin agent?

The names in the registry  in the VM's OS should actually be called vsepflt or vsepscsi

Jeremy Sage

0 Kudos