VMware Cloud Community
AndyMcM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3.3.2 upgrade to 3.4 historical data

Hi all

I am upgrading from a 3.3.2 appliance to a 3.4 one and notice that not all information is being imported ie the historical information.

From chatting to people who have done previous upgrades and looking at the old appliance it looks like previous migrations did import historical data.

Is there a way to bring over the data?

Ideally I don't want to keep the old appliance hanging around for historical reporting purposes.

Cheers

A.

Labels (2)
2 Replies
trmkrve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andy,

I've been looking into upgrading our 3.3.2 to 3.4 recently and my understanding is historical data can't be retained.

In 3.4 the data gathering method has changed, instead of keeping 1 sample per hour for all VMs, only metadata changes and state changes are being saved. This is a good thing as such, as it will significantly reduce the amount of data to keep (and process when creating reports).

The bad thing (pretty much unacceptable in my opinion) is that historical data can't be kept since it's no longer compatible with the new algorithms.

What should be done in my opinion is keep the old algorithm in the code and move the old tables to some kind of archive so they can be queried in case an audit from VMware requires it.

That way there is a "normal" upgrade path and we don't have to find ways to keep the old VM for 2 years. (which would be a real challenge in my case, not mentioning the effort to deploy new appliances next to the old ones (we have quite a few appliances)

AndyMcM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like you are in the same position as myself, last thing I want to do is to keep the old VM hanging around and want to get rid of it, but now looks like am going to have to keep it around for a couple years for the historical information.

Tad annoyed with this change although can understand if helps optimise the data from VMware perspective, it does not really help on the customer side of things.

A.

0 Kudos