VMware Cloud Community
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

VMotion Error

Hi;

I have 5 ESXi's in a cluster, recently implementing a best practice I separate to another switch the Vkernel Port to use VMotion, 2 of the ESXi's have no problem in making a Vmotion, but in 3 of them there's an error of "cannot comunicate with the Vkernel Port" I log in to the SSH console and make the vmkping tests and there it's no comunication between them in the vkernel port, the strage thing is that not even in the same ESXi's I can't ping to his vkernel port, like if the network adapter it's down, but in the inventory of the ESXi does not look if there is a problem, the network adapter it's active.

The sad part it's that I can't restart the ESXi because there are VM's running, and there is no Vmotion to put them in another host, hope there's a solution to my problem without a ESXi restart, if there's not i have to make a maintenance window

hope you can help me..

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vCenter™ to vMotion & Resource Management

Can you provide a screenshot or diagram of how the networking is or was changed?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

Before

Switch 3

VkernelPort1(conection to SAN)

VKernelPort2(conection to SAN)

VKernelPort3(conection to SAN)

VKernelPort4(conection to SAN)(Vmotion enable)

AFTER

Switch 3

VkernelPort1(conection to SAN)

VKernelPort2(conection to SAN)

VKernelPort3(conection to SAN)

Switch 4

VKernelPort4(Vmotion enable)

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

What about the physical networking that is used with the vSwitches?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check ur vlan tagging and also make sure in the vswitch for the vmotion u do see the observed ip range properly

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your response;

There is no VLAN Tag because it's the native VLAN, so I left it in "0(none)" I even tag it to the VLAN of the network (that to me is VLAN:250) and nothing.

It comes to my attention that you said that the Vswitch for the  Vmotion sees the iprange, the thin is that i DON't see the iprange, to remind my escenario:

Before

Switch2

vmkernelnic9     vmnic9 1000 full

vmkernelnic8     vmnic8 1000 full

vmkernelnic7     vmnic7 1000 full (vmotion)

vmkernelnic6     vmnic6 1000 full

After

Switch2

vmkernelnic9     vmnic9 1000 full

vmkernelnic8     vmnic8 1000 full

vmkernelnic7     vmnic7 1000 full

Switch3

vmkernelnic6     vmnic6 1000 full (vmotion)

At first it work fine, but i recently had problems migrating a VM, then i noticed that the vmkernel of the vmkernelni6 stop working at a migration, then i did a vmkping test and there is no response

The before scenario of the Swith2 was for a iSCSI software adpter using por binding, then the "After" scenario it's by a best practice of VMware, separating the traffic of the SAN and the Vmotions.

After the failed vkernel (switch 3), i just enable the vmotion in the vmkernelnic7 and works fine, but in neither the vSwith2 or vSwithc3 there are observerd IP ranges present:

0 Kudos
jvillanuevamtz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi;

I reboot the Host...NOTHING

Just added another nic from the switch2 and it started pining, now I have 2 network adapters for the conection to the SAN and 2 for the Vmotion Switch, and now it's working, but my goal it's to make it work with only 1 network adapter for the vmotion so the Switch2 has 3 network adapters for the traffic of the SAN connection...

0 Kudos