VMware {code} Community
akappa
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6 free and Java Web SDK - Info and limitations

Hello all 🙂

we are trying to set up a web gui to manage (start/stop/backup..) our VMs running on a free version of ESXi 6.0. We have no vCenter, just a standalone ESXi server. We are trying to use the JAVA Web SDK but without a lot of success, as we are not able to connect to the server. Before going in details with the problem I have two main points that i want to clarify:

1) where can i found the API limitation for the versions 6.0? I found a lot of pages related to 5 or 5.5, but none of them is official or abou v6. Can someone clarify this point and/or provide an official link?

2) Following the official doc for the java sdk we are not able to connect to the server (Java exception bad request, http replies 400). My point is, should I enable/activate something of esxi in order to have the APi reacheable? extra installation?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Bests,
Alberto

0 Kudos
2 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The vSphere Web Client SDK only works with vCenter because it is for extending the vSphere Client which only works with vCenter.  You cannot use it directly with ESXi.

Try an ESXi related forum, they may be able to help you.

0 Kudos
akappa
Contributor
Contributor

ok, thanks for the reply! by chenge, do you know which kind of Java SDK could I use without going trough vCenter?

0 Kudos