VMware Cloud Community
3wareTech
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare ESXI 3WARE 9550SXU-8LP SATA Controller Install

I am new to VMWare ESXi and trying to install it to test it out for possible production deployment. I have obtained an older server to perform testing. I am having difficulty installing the VMWare ESXi to the Server. 

Machine Information:

SuperMicro PDSG4

Pentium D

3WARE 9550SXU-8LP

2 Seagate Barracuda 250 GB Drives ST3250310NS -- SATA

Steps so far:

Went into RAID controller and setup RAOD 0 with the two drives.

Went into BIOS and made sure that SATA 0 and SATA 1 were both set to NONE, since read that AUTO can cause a problem.

I put in ESXi 4.1 Update 1 Install disk and gives me a message about failing to install, because it has nowhere to put the image.

Typing lspci, it appears that it dected the 3WARE controller

Output of screen read...

000:003:07.0 Mass Storage Controller 3WARE INC 9550SX SATA-II RAID PCI-X

000:000:31.2 Mass Sotrage Controller Intel Corporation 828016B/GB/GR/GH ICH7 Family SErial ATA Storage Controller IDE [vmhba1]

I type fdisk -l and no partitions or drives are listed.

I tried changing the TargetFilter.py file to ISCI and ISATA and recompilling the install file and I am still encountering the error.

Question:

1. What can I do to get ESXi installed on this server?

2. Do I need to format that drive as ext3 or something of that nature? Does VMWare ESXi require a preformatted drive? If so, how should I format and partition the drive? Will GParted work?

3. Am I using the right version ESXi 4.1 Update 1? Or Should I try ESXi 3.5 for 32 bit OS?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The 3Ware controller does not appear to be on the HCL http://vmware.com/go/hcl You may have a look at http://vm-help.com and the Whitebox HCL to see if there are any workarounds. While looking at the list(s) make sure you have a supported NIC. ESXi will not install without a supported NIC. Most embedded NICs are not directly supported although you may find something on the vm-help site. You can try installing to a USB stick 1GB or larger. This may be a help to at least getting it installed although a supported NIC is still a necessity.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
3wareTech
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it appears the 3WARE 9650, 9690SA, and 9750 appear on the HCL

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=io&productId=1...

The site says something about...

Notes:

VMware Knowledge Base Documents:

* Device Drivers:

• 1. 3w-9xxx version 2.26.08.035vm40
  • 2. 3w-9xxx version 2.24.08.021vm35
  • 3. 3w-sas version 3.26.00.001vm40

I am wondering if one of these drives will work?

How do you install to a USB drive? Basically just hook up the USB and it will see it as a storage device when installing 4.1? Is 4.1 the right version? or Should I attempt to use an older version such as 3.5? I wasn't too clear if the Pentium D would support the 64 bit 4.1?

0 Kudos
3wareTech
Contributor
Contributor

Reading the readme file on the driver CD for the 3Ware products it is unclear as to how apply the drivers. I do not believe I was ever prompted for a custom driver install when using the CD "VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso".

How does one apply custom drivers using the VWare ESXi installation media?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The driver versions must match the controller model. There may not be a way to use the controller.

You are not given an opportunity to install drivers at installation time. You either need to create a custom installer CD or install to USB and add drivers according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

The install to USB is a supported destination. The installer will detect the USB stick and you can can choose that for install.

I would try the install. The Pentium D should support ESXi. Unless there is support for hardware virtualization built into the motherboard BIOS you would not be able to virtualize 64bit guests. Check your BIOS.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Do visit the vm-help website and the forums. There may be someone who has installed the same controller model that you have

0 Kudos
3wareTech
Contributor
Contributor

If I go with the USB option, I assume that I will only have storage space that is the size of the USB drive?

AYou said taht ESXi would work with Pentium D, but did not specify if I should use version 4.1 or 3.5? According to the manual that came with the motherboard.

"Using the EM64T Feature"

Use a CPU that supports the EM64T Technology

Use a 64 Bit OS

Install the 64 bit dirvers for all MB components, devices and add-on cards.

So I assume that 64 bit should work?

How would I go about creating a custom CD, if I wanted to use the Driver CD that VMware has for newer 3WARE controller cards?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If I go with the USB option, I assume that I will only have storage space that is the size of the USB drive?

You would install to a USB flash stick. A USB hard disk won't work. The flash disk must 1GB or larger and ESXi won't use anymore thn 1 GB. A USB disk can not be used for storage at all. ESXi runs directly into RAM and there is very very little writing to disk.

I would try the current ESXi 4.1

How would I go about creating a custom CD, if I wanted to use the Driver CD that VMware has for newer 3WARE controller cards?

There are directions for creating an installed CD on the VM-Help website but you are better off using the USB install and adding a custom oem.tgz file to the USB stick rather than trying to create in installer. Creating a custom oem.tgz file information is also on the VM-Help website as well. The most current version should have all the available 3Ware drivers so it should not be necesasary. I would check the 3ware website for possibly available drivers. Most 3ware VMware drivers have an install bundle so I would check the docs that come with any downloadable drivers. Installing incorrect drivers not specifically intended for ESXi may make your system unstable or unavailable. Assuming this is for testing purposes I would just find a known working controller from the VM-Help website.

0 Kudos
3wareTech
Contributor
Contributor

In the meantime, I went ahead and switched the SATA cables to the motherboard since it has onboard ICH7R, and set the BIOS mode to IDE. I was able to install VMWare ESXi to the first drive in slot 0. I then had to specify the connected nic and program static IP address. It appears to be working. I am now in the process of downloading and installing the VSphere client to perform a test.

My goal is to attempt to try and install a couple of Virtual OS. FreeNAS, Windows Server 2003, ETC. 

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Good to hear. Let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos