VMware {code} Community
bclow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Large update sets not atomic?

I'm using Axis to access the Virtual Center 2.0.x web service, and I'm running into problems with large update sets being broken into multiple pieces. I've called WaitForUpdates with a spec that returns me information on all managed objects in the operational view. It works great, except for this issue.

An example likely illustrates best. When I move a host with no resource pools from a data center into a cluster, I receive a "remove" update for the root resource pool of the host, and a "modify" update for every VM on the host, containing the new resource pool for the VM. These changes come in two PropertyFilterUpdate sets - the first has the resource pool remove and about half the VM updates, and the second has the rest of the VM updates. This means that I can't keep a consistent model of what's happening on Virtual Center - after the first update, I've got a bunch of VMs that point to an invalid resource pool. This doesn't happen every time I do so - it happens far more frequently when the Virtual Center machine is under heavy load, or if there is a very large number of VMs.

Is this behaviour expected / is there any way to change it? If it's unchangeable, is there any way that I can tell that there's another piece of this update coming?

NB: When I first register my property filter, the initial update I receive always has all requested properties of all objects on the server, no matter the size of the inventory on the server.

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Brian,

We have seen similar behavior in our lab environments and are researching on it. We tested the scenario where a host is moved out of the cluster having the resource pools and it gives updates in incorrect order.

Chances are it will be identified as a software defect, or need to modify documentation. We will keep you updated on this as we make proceedings on this.

Regards,

Dildip

0 Kudos