VMware Cloud Community
AleksESD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem configure VR connection between two sites

Dear All,

I am trying to set a replication for some virtual machines from production site to a DR site. Both sites are on ESXi 5.5 with vCenter 5.5 with their own AD domains. The connection between them is done with Cisco VPN client from DR site to Production site.

I have installed SRM 5.5.1 on both places and I was able to successfully pair both sites. The status of them is CONNECTED from both sites. On both environments I have deployed vsphere replication appliance and they are successfully registered on both vCenters.

The problem is that when I try to configure VR connection, I receive the following error:

VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'Managed Object 'HmsServiceInstance' thrown unexpected exception 'java.net.UnknownHostException' with message 'siteB.dns.name' when invoking method 'getContent''.

I receive this error from both places.

I am able to ping from both sites via FQDN and I have already tried the following article:

VMware KB: Configuring VR server connection in VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager reports the erro...

Could you please help me resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Aleksandar Aleksandrov

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually both appliances needs a connection between each other as they periodically exchange some messages so both sites have to be able to connect to vCenter Server port 80.

Thanks,

Dzhem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Alexandar,

Are you able to ping siteB.dns.name through VR appliance console? Are you able to pair the sites through IP address?

Thanks,
Dzhem

0 Kudos
AleksESD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Dzhem,

I am able to ping the vcenter siteB.dns.name from the VR appliance on production site. I am not able to telnet the vcenter siteB.dns.name on port 80 from the appliance - I don`t know if this is correct.

I will try to recreate the pair with IP addresses.

When I configure the site pair with IP`s, pair is completed successfully and I receive the following error when I try to do the VR connection:

VRM Server generic error. Please check the documentation for any troubleshooting information. The detailed exception is: 'org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to http://siteB.dns.name:80 refused'.

Regards,

Aleksandar Aleksandrov

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Aleksandar,

I presume that your problem is with telnet on port 80 unfortunately. Do you have any rules in your VPN that disables this port?

Thanks,

Dzhem

0 Kudos
AleksESD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

There are no rules for blocking ports via VPN. In fact, passing trough the same VPN, all the other windows machines are able to telnet on port 80, except the appliance.

Is it possible that the VR appliance is not able to reach the production vcenter and that is why I receive the error?

Thank you,

Aleksandar Aleksandrov

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually both appliances needs a connection between each other as they periodically exchange some messages so both sites have to be able to connect to vCenter Server port 80.

Thanks,

Dzhem

0 Kudos
AleksESD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After fixing both ends to telnet vcenter server on port 80, the VR connection was established successfully.

Thank you for the support!

0 Kudos