VMware Cloud Community
Limeres
Contributor
Contributor

Add existing VMFS Datastore after Reinstalling ESX 4.

Hi,

I have Reinstalled an ESX 4 over an old installation from the same DVD.

During install, I have selected only 1 Phisical Disk to install all partitions included VMFS.

Other Phisical Disk was not selected for this installation.

These other Phisical Disk, has a VMFS datastore created in the older installations, but I need preserve it.

Well, today, the new ESX 4 is running perfectly, but I can not see the old VMFS datastore with their vms...

When I run "fdisk -l", the Phisical disk appear as empty, without any partitions VMFS.

In other server with the same (indentical) caracteristics, the other phisical disk appears correctly as VMFS datastore when I click on RESCAN link in Storage Adapters.

Enviroment:

- 2 x HP DL180 G5

- 1 HDD SATA (reside ESX /, /boot, /root, etc...)

- 1 HDD SAS (reside the old VMFS datastore).

Any suggestions or comments? are Welcome!!

Thanks and Regards...

Patricio

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to mount the disk?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
vmwarefc
Contributor
Contributor

The other physical disk are able to be identified correctly on server else and this means there is a VMFS on the physical disk. The datastore should be able to be discovered properly on the first server you mentioned after a storage adapter rescan or server rebooting.

A suggestion: Please take some actions to isolate the issue.

• Powering off the servers else by which the disk are shared with the first server and then rebooting the first server or executing a storage adapter rescan. That is an issue indeed if the issue still happens after some actions.

Thanks

Zhifeng

Zhifeng
0 Kudos