VMware Cloud Community
yuvalwoll
Contributor
Contributor

Change DNS mounted NFS volume

Hi  our topology is as follows:

We have a Netapp  Storage Controller  with two nodes

each node contains an IP address and hosts different datastores

(essentially each aggregate  is hosted by a separated node)

the datastores are NFS (NFS version 3)

we've mounted our Datastores with a DNS name  to all ESXI servers

we would like to move the datastore from one node to the other (using Vol move that will copy it to another aggregate)

(we've figured out the storage side of things so i won't elaborate of this)

this could be accomplished on the fly but would entail performance issues on the volume

because it would have to traverse between nodes on the Netapp Controller

to solve these performance  issues we would need to change the DNS record on the DNS server to point the DNS name to the new node's ip address   and then somehow

force the ESXI server to remount the  NFS volume with the new ip address

from the output of  " esxcli network ip connection list" i see that the ESXI server  contains one TCP connection for each NFS datastore

is there a command that issues a remount?  or does the ESXI server have some kind of mechinesemn that refreshes the DNS cache and performs a remount?

and also i would like to know what happens once a remount takes place? does the NFS protocol tolerate the downtime?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you expecting to do the switchover without down time? The best way to do this would be to have the hosts powered off during the switchover, this does not guarantee the storage will not need to be added again and the VM's re-added as well.

0 Kudos