VMware Cloud Community
TimTool
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 5, iSCSI and VMWARE - Logical Drive Not On Preferred Path

Morning \ Afternoon All,
I am having a nightmare with a DS3524 and am in desperate need of some help.

We have a DS3524 with x2 1GB Ethernet Dual controllers (x4 1GB Nics per controller), we are having issues with it giving an error:

Logical Drive Not On Preferred Path

Setup:

We have created multiple array with separate logical drives within:

Array 1: RAID 5 - x2 Logical Drives - Preferred Path ContA
Array 2: RAID 5 - x2 Logical Drives - Preferred Path ContB
Array 3: RAID 1 - x2 Logical Drives - Preferred Path ContA
Array 4: RAID 5 - x2 Logical Drives - Preferred Path ContB

Once we receive the error the controller ownership for all Logical Drives are on controller A, Once we swap them back over they failover again within 15 minutes.

Connected to the SAN are x5 ESX hosts, no other servers are connected. The ESX Hosts use the iSCSI Software initiator to connect.

The network setup is as follows:

Controller A:
Port 3: 10.10.15.11
Port 4: 10.10.16.11
Port 5: 10.10.15.12
Port 6: 10.10.16.12

Controller B:
Port 3: 10.10.15.13
Port 4: 10.10.16.13
Port 5: 10.10.15.14
Port 6: 10.10.16.14

We have x2 switches one configured with vlan 2 and the other vlan 3 - all 10.10.15.x is within VLAN 3 and 10.10.16.x is on VLAN 2
The ESX Host has been configured with x2 NIC that have be bound to the ISCSI initiator - x2 VMKernels - 1 interface live for the 15 range and another for the 16 range

Each ESX box is able to ping all interfaces on the DS3524

Each presented LUN has been configured to use Round Robin Load Balancing - I understand this is supported from the following link:

http://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=591&uid=ssg1S1003554

Looking at the VMware HCL Round Robin is unsupported

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/detail.php?deviceCategory=san&productid=14700&releaseid=76&...

Can anyone point out any configuration issues that may cause this issue?
Thanks
Tim
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

In MRU and fixed case you are observing the same error message??

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
TimTool
Contributor
Contributor

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply,

To be honest i have not tried this, i will change a single LUN to MRU on all ESX boxes and change the preferred path to Cont B

I will let you know the outcome

Tim

0 Kudos
cgrace70
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same issue.  The (IBM) best practice, researched by the consultant of an IBM Business Partner, is not to use all 8 iSCSI ports on the SAN.  Only configure two ports per controller.  Once we made the change the error went away.  Are/were you running vSphere 5.0 or 5.0 U1?

TimTool
Contributor
Contributor

Hi cgrace70,

Thank-you for you input,

Not sure if it was related but soon after we started seeing the issue we had a disk failure. Once swapped out the issues went away. Looking at our monitoring software both controllers are working correctly are being utilised with around 20/40% load.

Our configuration:

Two isolated switches - each on a different VLAN - 2 and 3

Configured Controller ports in the following manner:

Port 1 Cont A - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.15.1)
Port 2 Cont A - VLAN 3 (IP 192.168.16.1)
Port 3 Cont A - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.15.2)
Port 4 Cont A - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.16.2)

Port 1 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.15.3)
Port 2 Cont B - VLAN 3 (IP 192.168.16.3)
Port 3 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.15.4)
Port 4 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.16.4)

On the ESX host we enabled two interface as VMKernals - 1 in 15 range and another in 16 range.

Set all LUNS to round-robin.

Another way that i have seen to-do this is to give each port a different VLAN:

Port 1 Cont A - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.2.1)
Port 2 Cont A - VLAN 3 (IP 192.168.3.1)
Port 3 Cont A - VLAN 4 (IP 192.168.4.1)
Port 4 Cont A - VLAN 5 (IP 192.168.5.1)

Port 1 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.2.2)
Port 2 Cont B - VLAN 3 (IP 192.168.3.2)
Port 3 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.4.2)
Port 4 Cont B - VLAN 2 (IP 192.168.5.2)

We did not try this as our ESX boxes only had two interfaces that we could assign to iSCSI.

We tested the performance of the SAN within VMWARE using Iometer. I found the perfomance to be worse than expected. After some research we found the following:

Create smaller logical drives (4+1, 6+1) rather than a single logical drive across all disk. (unless IOPS is key requirement for a single application) - We found that if a single logical drive was used, over time as more VM's are added the contention to read/write affected performance as the same 24 spindles are used by all devices. By using smaller logical drives - this isolated contention to the spindles allocated within the logical drive. If utilisation was high for a specific application and multiple logical drives have been created then it does not affect other VM's perfomance if located on another logical drive.

Also create Multiple LUNS within the Logical drive - We found that the LUN is locked during Read \ Write operation. So multiple Luns allowed for better throughput

Another issue we found was a VMWare one, when testing 100% sequential read the most throughput we could get was 100Mbits ps. Using the CLI we set the IOPS to 1 across the Luns which increased the performance to 200Mbps. We found that when using round-robin - VMWARE sent 1000 iops across one interface then another 1000 down the other. After setting it to 1 it spread the load after each IOP increasing the performance

Not sure if this will help you in any way, but thought i would share it - if you have any question please ask

Tim

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I was having the same issue, in my case I was using SAS cables to directly connect to my host servers, but this error 'logical drive not on preferred path' kept on coming back.  Finally I found one of the SAS cable were not properly connected as per vmware guide.  Example:

Esx1 -----------------------system storage 0,1

Esx2------------------------system storage 0,1

wallah and the error never came back.  Hope that helped for those who are directly connected via SAS cables.

0 Kudos
NazDa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Amanzoor,

I am also having the same issue with a SAS connected setup.

I don't quite understand your cabling.

If each host has 2 HBA's and the DS has 2 controllers how do you cable this?

ESX1     (SAS HBA 1)              (SAS HBA2)                         ESX2 (SAS HBA 1) (SAS HBA2)

STORAGE Controller 1  (SAS PORT 1, SAS PORT2)           STORAGE Controller 2 (SAS PORT 1, SAS PORT2)

Do you go from:

ESX 1 (SAS HBA 1) ==> STORAGE contoller 1 (SAS PORT1) 

ESX 1 (SAS HBA 2) ==> STORAGE contoller 2 (SAS PORT1)

ESX 2 (SAS HBA 1) ==> STORAGE contoller 1 (SAS PORT2)

ESX 2 (SAS HBA 2) ==> STORAGE contoller 2 (SAS PORT2)

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

HI Nazda,

I am still sailing in the same boat.  I am actually sandwitched between IBM and Vmware.  I have lot more issues than just 'logical drives not on preffered path'.  I had to download and install IBM version of ESXi 5.1 and NOT the VMware version.  Besides other 'Latency' issues I still have 'logical drvies....' error, I simply right click over the logical drives and select, 'Redistribute logical drives'.  these are all temp fix the reason is, IBM supports ESxi 5.1 on DS3524 but vmware is still testing it out.  So eventually I will be installing the Vmware version 5.1 once they support on DS3524.   I am enclosing a diagram for you just consider that you do not have Fiber Channel switches if you are directly connecting.  page 11. 

At least I know that I am not alone, how could IBM support people are not fimiliar with their own product and how about the coordination and coopertation between the two companies......I have no idea, so I stopped wasting my time started to wait till VMware support 5.1 on system storage DS3524.  Till then I am following the cabling pattern as on page 11.  Hope that helped.

Just to let you know all the support people I spoke to in India had no idea about the IBM version of Vmware 5.1, which had some fixes included for DS3524.  More than this I am just doing the experimentation on my own as IBM support simply say its a Brand new product and they have to check their own labs.  For the past few months I am simply doing experiments on my own.  Just waiting till 5.1 is supported by Vmware on DS3524.

0 Kudos
NazDa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Amanzoor,

I am just setting this up so I also will go with the IBM version of ESXI, where did you download this from?

As far as I am aware I thought esxi 5.1 is the latest. Did you mean you went with Esxi 5 Update 1?

I just checked the IBM support page yesterday and it showed they support ESXI 5.1 on the DS3500 series.

I understand your frustration, hopefully there is some movement on this soon.

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2012-10-19+08%3A15%3A58.511149R&S_TAC...=

Make sure your rack(or other servers) are compatible.  No I meant Esxi 5.1 (latest).  I know that is what I said in my post that IBM support on their DS3500 the ESXi 5.1 but Vmware does not support 5.1 on DS3500.  We are lucky customers Smiley Happy

Enjoy the download.

0 Kudos
NazDa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Is there a easy way to find out what server's are supported on this build? I can't seem to find a matrix anywhere?

I am using a X3550 M4

I was looking around and all I could find was this:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-5089563

But that does not mention the IBM build of Esxi.

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

Your servers and mine are same, you are good to go.  As far as the build on IBM Vmware is concerned it will be exactly the same as Vmware, I beleive mine is 799.... something.  I can confirm tomorrow from the office.

Good day.

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked IBM version of VMware 5.1U1 is supported by IBM as well as Vmware but not 5.1.  so it is upto you to decide which way to go.

0 Kudos
NazDa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Amanzoor,

Have you seen this? I wonder if this is worth trying? My server is a 7914.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/340632?start=15&tstart=0

I will be onsite again next week so will do some further testing and let you know.

Also what firmware are you running on your DS?

0 Kudos
NazDa
Contributor
Contributor

Another artcile I found might be worth checking out,

Have you tried this at all?

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=367828&start=15&tstart=0

0 Kudos
amanzoor
Contributor
Contributor

Nazda,

I had already tried it.  Same thing.

Ds3524 Management software: 10.84.G5.30

Controller Firmware version  07.84.44.00

0 Kudos