VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMDK Alignment

We have a Netapp fas 2050 SAN and we run vShpere on 3 host and we have some storage issues and was looking for some advice. We are experiencing some DATA DIGEST ERRORS on the storage and after numerous techs still haven't got any closer. 2 of our hosts boot from SAN and that seems to make this problem even bigger. In the VI client under tasks and events i get a lot of "Lost Connections to the Storage" and this happens quite often. It appears that i have a latency issue and the latest escalation engineer seems to think that since my VM's are not aligned that this might be the cause. One question i need answered is HOW can i tell if i have a latency issue? Are there certain commands that i can look at? If anyone wouls like to comment on this or has any magic trick that can mak this all go away i am all ears. One thing i forgot to mention...this appeared to start happening when i updated my lst host to vSphere 4.0 U1. That same host is boot ffom local drive and is a little different than the other two hosts.

Host 1 - IBM 3650

Host 2 - IBM 3650

Host 3 - IBM 3650 M2

SAN IBM N3600 (aka Netapp fas 2050)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kac2
Expert
Expert

check out page 69 of the NetApp and vSphere best practices guide

http://blogs.netapp.com/virtualstorageguy/2009/07/vsphere-on-netapp-best-practices-released.html

0 Kudos