VMware Cloud Community
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

after update and reboot no storage visible

Hello,

I made updates at 3 esxi 5.0 server, the first one was OK. On the other 2 I can make a iscsi software adapter vmhba34 rescan, then I can see al LUN´s. But I don´t see the storage at the LUN´s, only the local storage I can see. So I can only start VM´s on one host.

Has anybody an idea, what could be the reason for that problem?

Thanks

Bernd

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It doesn't look like you are the luckiest guy. With the update from 4.1 you lost the NICs and now you lost the datastores!? Smiley Wink

What you may do is to take a look at the log files after a rescan (vmkernel and hostd.log) to see whether they contain any error messages. Since you can see the datastores from the third host I assume the partition types are still ok. Anyway, please run fdisk -lu to see whether the VMFS partitions show up correctly (type "FB"). If fdisk does not work anymore (due to GPT) you will have to run partedUtil getptbl ... instead. (see "Printing an existing partition table" at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1036609)

André

0 Kudos
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

Hello André,

thanks for your answer, yes now I lost my datastores, and I don´t know why. I get on both esxi maschines, vmware2 is OK and vmware3 is wrong the same output when I take the partedUtil command:

~ # partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/eui.38454d3364343359"
msdos
261083 255 63 4194304000
1 128 4194298394 251 0

I have also made on both maschines an adapter scan and the output of the vmkernel.log is in the both files which I attached for you. Maybe you can see were the problem is.

Thanks for your help

Bernd

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the log files the LUNs are detected as snapshots!?

Please verify that the LUNs are presented to all hosts using the same LUN-ID or - depending on your storage system - in the same storage group. You should also take a look at the current time settings of the hosts to make sure the time dosn't differ too much between the hosts.

Regarding the snapshot LUNs, take a look at e.g. http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011387 to see whether the LUNs are listed as snapshots and - if everything seems to be correct (e.g. LUN-ID) - you may try to mount the LUNs manually.

André

0 Kudos
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

detected as snapshots that was the right idea. Together with the link I could fix my problem. I mounted the LUNs manually, after that I saw all my VMs. LUN IDs and the time settings were OK.

Thanks for your help

Bernd

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Waiting to hear from you after the next update :smileylaugh:

André

0 Kudos