VMware Cloud Community
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter iScsi Storage Adapter

I have a new installation of vSphere vCenter 4.1 with 1 ESX 3.5 host and I would like to connect to my HP iSCSI SAN but the iSCSI storage adapter is not listed under the Configuartion TAB, Storage Adapters. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Ed

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

What type of iSCSI adapter is it? Does it show up in networking adapters? If so, you will probably need to use the software iSCSI initiator with it. The setup is detailed in the iSCSI SAN Configuration Guide.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

The issue I have is the iSCSI Storage Adapter does not appear in the list of Storage Adapters within vSpere itself so I can even get started. I log into the VI Client, go to Configuration, then Storage Adapters and the only listed item is LSI Logic MegaRAID, type SCSI, which i don't think i can use for iSCSI. I'm a newbie with vSphere but did a lot of searching and can't seem to find the answer.

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As vmroyale stated, do you see the adapter in the Network Adapters in the Configuration Tab? What iSCSI Adapters are you using?

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
JamesConaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys, He is missing the vmhba33 adapter in the storage adapters area. Networking section isn't relevant to his question.

See the red line below and verify it's true.

You must enable the iSCSI adapter.

To enable the iSCSI adapter:

# Connect directly to the ESX host with VMware Infrastructure Client.

1. Click the Configuration tab.

2. In the Storage Adapters section, select iSCSI Software Adapter.

3. In the Details section, click Properties.

4. Click the General tab, then click Configure.

5. Select Enabled.

6. Click OK.

On the VirtualCenter Server, go to ESX server > Configuration > Security Profile* and ensure that Software iSCSI Client is enabled. *

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for all the help and support.

Indeed the iSCSI was not selected in the Security Tab so I selected it and it now appears in the Outgoing Connections

However it still does not appear in the Storage Adapter section. Does it take some time, do I need to reboot ESX or is there stilll something missing?

0 Kudos
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

Still cannot see the iSCSI Storage Adpater in vCenter. Any more thoughts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JamesConaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try a reboot of the server after the change?

0 Kudos
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

No, i have not rebooted. I'll do that now and post back the results.

Thanks

0 Kudos
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

Processed a full reboot at the hardware level and still no iSCSI storage adapter listed ... very frustrating...LOL.

0 Kudos
JamesConaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Lets clarify.

Is the software adapter missing for a 4.x or 3.5 esx host?

Is the host a new install or existing install?

What are you trying to connect to the hp storage?

0 Kudos
strek2010
Contributor
Contributor

The host is currently at 3.5.

It is an existing host.

I want to connect the existing host to the HP San so I can store the VM images.

0 Kudos
VirtuaLogic
Contributor
Contributor

I Just had a similar issue; 4 servers of which 3 had the iSCSI software adapter available and one had not. The machine had a problem with its license, re-entering the key solved the issue. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,  Alex.

0 Kudos