VMware Cloud Community
Debcha
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere iSCSI NMP MRU - iSCSI-Paths-settings not permanent

Hi,

We'are using a EMC Clariion AX4-5i as iSCSI SAN Storage for our ESX Hosts.

It's an Active/Passive - Array, therefore we use VMware NMP MRU as Path Policy (Software-iSCSI)

To achieve storage traffic load-balancing with MRU ( we have 4 Paths to the LUN's) we manually disable specific paths for every LUN, let ESX failover to another path (so that the path is (Active(I/O), and re-enable the disabled path(s)).

With this method we can distribute the traffic over all 4 paths.

Unfortunately after a ESX host reboot the settings are gone (and all LUN's use a single path )

This problem is not a vSphere specific one (with ESX 3.5 we have the same issue), but i hoped this might be fixed in vSphere.

It's some work to do manual balancing because for good balancing you have to do it on every ESX-host + every LUN (it's "fun" to do this after every host reboot)

This issue is also well known in ESX 3.5 :

Unfortunately the solution (script) from the URL is not applicable to us (we use Active/Passive Array - therefore we can't set fixed/preferred path). Btw. it's only a workaround for this issue.

VMware Support told us this is not a VMware issue (SR #1442342381) . They said we have to contact EMC - no comment ... (vSphere is the iSCSI Initiator and therefore responsible for the iSCSI Paths (selection,evaluation, etc.) and for restoring settings).

P.S:

It makes no difference if we make the settings through vCenter or directly with vSphere Client on a ESX Host.

Any help appreciated.

Debcha

Greetings from Germany

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Create a script that will set the paths via the service console, and simply run this script each time he reboots a host... That is script out each step you take in the VI client, and whenever you are forced to reboot a host, as part of the reboot process run this script (even that might not be possible) you are going to need to escalate this issue with VMWare as I think it is a little dodgy that they fluff this off on EMC (given it is settings in THIER initiator that seem to be causing the problem). I would try and escalate this within VMWare if possible

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
Itzikr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Debcha,

no need to runs scripts, you can use Round Robin in vSphere..

here's how to do it

the only thing im not sure of is what AX can / cannot do in terms of iscsi, so you can always raise an official SR

Itzik Reich

Solutions Architect

VCP,VTSP,MCTS,MCITP,MCSE,CCA,CCNA

EMC²

where Information Lives

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Itzik Reich
0 Kudos