VMware Cloud Community
pavelalex
Contributor
Contributor

vmware and IBM DS3000 single controller storage

Hi!

Is there anyone from Vmware support?

IBM released a RETAIN, which notice that DS3000 series single controller storages are not supported by Vmware.

http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5083889&brandind=5000...

BTW, DS3000 series IBM OEMs from LSI. DS3200 is equivalent of LSI 1333, DS3300 - 1532 and DS3400 - 1932.

I requested addition explanation from IBM support and i have got the next answer:

"The issue is with the VMware multipath fail over driver as it does not know how to handle a single controller. I don't know why VMware does not list this restriction on their page, but the retain tip is correct."

I tried to find any notices on vmware hardware compatible lists related to any DS3000 or equivalent LSI storages. Nothing is mentioned to issues with single controller models.

Main problems is that this IBM RETAIN appeared after a long time after DS3000 was announced and we sold a lot of single controller DS3200 storages. Some of them are used in virtualization environment with Vmware ESXi 3.5 and 4. It was a cheaper solution to use an external storage with SAS HBA, then an expensive Raid controller and external disk cage.

Funny thing, nobody complains with troubles. At the begging were some problems, but after firmware was updated, everything works fine with ESXi 3.5U4 and 4U1.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

If the 2 iSCSI connections are on different subnets? I can't see how failover would not work just fine. The failover is the path, not the controller of course. If the controller goes, since it's single, obviously you are down.

0 Kudos
pavelalex
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know.

I was confused by explanation:

"VMware multipath ... driver ... does not know how to handle a single controller".

It looks at least strange.

0 Kudos