VMware Cloud Community
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can't login to console after alt - f1

I just upgraded to esxi 6.0 update 2 from esxi 5.5. After update vcenter appliance didn't start and I cannot login from any client including SSH. I want to do this to start vcenter appliance or at least try to. However, when I go to the console I can login OK to the UI then I type Alt f1 to get to the command line interface and the same credentials I used to login to console fail here. What is going on - how do I recover from this? Most of the rest of the VM's seem to be running OK except for vcenter.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK - after sleeping on it - and not sleeping on it. There are 3 problems - the main one is this - When upgrading to exsi 6.0 the Lockout root feature is enabled and it even applies to the local console command interface. Secondly, this ones on me, I never configured vCenter to auto start - duh! Thirdly, even if I had, the upgrade swapped the network static IP addresses  of the interface cards from the previous configuration so none of the vms on that box were visible on the network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What if I redo the update but install the host software from scratch - basically reconfigure the networks and re add the vms? That may be the only way to get back in.

0 Kudos
mooncaptain66
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK - after sleeping on it - and not sleeping on it. There are 3 problems - the main one is this - When upgrading to exsi 6.0 the Lockout root feature is enabled and it even applies to the local console command interface. Secondly, this ones on me, I never configured vCenter to auto start - duh! Thirdly, even if I had, the upgrade swapped the network static IP addresses  of the interface cards from the previous configuration so none of the vms on that box were visible on the network.

0 Kudos