VMware Cloud Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 / vCenter 2.5 to vSphere on different networks?

I need some information here on an install / upgrade...

I am not that savvy on the overall networking aspect, so please bear with me

The goal here is to move from ESX 3.5 / vCenter 2.5 existing in a 192.x network to vSphere 4 that will reside in a 128.x network.

The current setup has vCenter 2.5 and five ESX 3.5 servers in a 192.x.x.x network in a local workgroup.

Standard License - no vMotion and using a Dell EqualLogic SAN.

As stated, we will be updating our lab and moving to a 128.x.x.x network.

We first need to test with one ESX 3.5 Server and the current vCenter 2.5 in the 128.x network.

The goal is to install vCenter 4 on a new Dell 2850 the new 128.x.x.x network and to set up a domain controller so I can join the new Dell 2850 to the DC and install vCenter 4 in the new 128.x.x.x network at some point.

The problem I am having is the configuration of a new DC for vSphere.

Would the following work using ESX5 as an example?

My plan was to

• Move all VM’s from ESX5 (ESX 3.5 Server) to one of the four remaining ESX 3.5 Servers.

• Change current vCenter 2.5 from a 192.x.x.x to a 128.x.x.x address knowing that we will lose vCenter connectivity to the other four ESX 3.5 Servers. (not sure if I could install vCenter 2.5 on a VM on one of the 4 remaining ESX 3.5 Servers to allow the management of the other ESX 3.5 Servers to continue in the 192 network if the switch I am using is connected to the 128.x network?)

• Modify ESX5 ip address (console, etc) to be in the 128.x network

• Test vCenter 2.5 and ESX5 in the 128.x network

• Upgrade ESX5 from ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0

• Connect to ESX5 using standalone vCenter 4 client (from a PC in 128.x)

• Build a VM DC on ESX5 (in the 128.x network)

• Join new Dell 2850 the new 128.x.x.x network to the DC

• Install vCenter 4.0 on the new Dell 2850 that is joined to the DC

• Add ESX5 to vCenter 4

Comments or suggestions?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just a question as to why you're moving the environment to a public IP range (128.x.x.x). Are you planning on making your vmware environment accessible to the outside world?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Are you planning on making your vmware environment accessible to the outside world?

IP are not always public. Every fortune 500 company uses a Class A/B license...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry for the confusion. They would always be public (as in are routable) but not always accessible. Your plan looks like it should be fine and you can install vCenter 2.5 on one of the ESX hosts to manage those hosts during the migration.

0 Kudos