VMware Cloud Community
ravipawar23
Contributor
Contributor

How to upgrade Dell Power EDGE VRTX running on VMware vSphere 7 update 3 to VMware vSphere 8?

How to upgrade Dell Power EDGE VRTX running on VMware vSphere 7 update 3 to VMware vSphere 8?

i have purchased All hardware and VMware from Dell directly with 5 years pro support plus with 4 hrs. mission critical support.

recently VMware has release VMware vSphere. version 8 and its showing in my vcenter updates panel. 

we have checked the below compatibility and it's showing the version 8 supported for dell M640 Blades.

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Dell is uncertain and not properly supporting us for upgrading to version 8 and seeking VMware experts /advance level support to achieve goal.

please do let me know if additional information needed to achieve this.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Sorry, based on your context for which you have subscribed to a "mission critical" level of support, it seems reasonable to expect that if the manufacturer itself sends you to seek advanced support from VMware experts (or in any case professionals who are particularly expert in the specific subject), you can receive "definitive" answers in the context of a forum? IMHO, I don't think so.

Your IT context, which you don't say much about, has specificities that are different from those of someone else since each of us has our own different "way of conceiving and doing IT".

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
ravipawar23
Contributor
Contributor

we have raised many Tickets to Dell but there is no fruitful answers from the Dell team. i am still chasing with Dell team.

meantime if VMware can help me, it will be great help for me.

mission Critical support is only for the hardware break fix. as far i understand.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

If I sign a "mission critical" level support contract for my systems (and everything else too) it is "usually" because in my IT context I use equally "mission critical" solutions, otherwise I invest that money in another way. Simply put, ask VMware for advice or for a partner who can respond effectively and professionally to your needs, I think it's your best option.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
ravipawar23
Contributor
Contributor

is there any chances to get support from VMware forum or i am going to lose hope from this platform as well?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

I am a user of VMware technologies as much as you are, nothing more nothing less, in my free time I express my opinions (which are worth what they're worth) and I try to help other users like me (and that doesn't mean I succeed). But If I encounter a particularly particular problem that I am not confident I can resolve independently, I will turn to VMware asking for support (a so-called "SR"), and if I have to, paying the asking price.

If you start updating things based on what you find written on a forum and then something goes wrong, who do you turn to "to fix it". The risk always remains yours alone, not someone else's, I understand that you don't like what I say at all, I'm sorry, it doesn't change the state of things.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
ravipawar23
Contributor
Contributor

is there any chances to get support from VMware forum or i am going to lose hope from this platform as well?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is a user forum, not a formal support forum.

If your support contract is with Dell, they have an obligation to help you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ravipawar23
Contributor
Contributor

Dear TEam,

i am not asking for support, i am saying anyone face such kind of issues and what solution was applied ?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Sorry, explain yourself, you're not looking for support but you say that the manufacturer himself has doubts.
A reasonable answer to your question depends on how, based on your specific computing context, that VRTX object is used which otherwise in itself, at least for someone like me, is simply a somewhat particular set of HCL listed hardware that we assume you have already consulted.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos