VMware Cloud Community
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

Installing vCenter Server 5.5 fails at single sign on installation fails and rollsback action

I am currently working on trying to install vCenter Server in a lab environment on a workstation running Windows Server 2008 SP2. 

When running the custom install for single sign on it installs up to configuring SSO components and then performs a rollback action.

I have tried all of the solutions from the KB's and from previous discussions.  Renaming the CIS folder, removed any stale vmware registry keys, ensured domain admin permissions are set in the local security policy, and reinstalled the Phython and OpenSSL.

See attached logs.  vim-sso-msi.log

I really can't figure out what could be the problem.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello,

I can clearly see this:

Installing SSL certificate in TC Server at [d:\ProgramData\VMware\cis\runtime\VMwareSTS\conf\ssoserver.crt]

VMware Identity Service bootstrap failed.

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'd:\\ProgramData\\VMware\\cis\\runtime\\VMwareSTS\\conf\\ssoserver.crt'

Try checking your %programdata% variable would be useful because mostly it is found on c: drive not d: drive. Strange thing is that on the other log file it states clearly:

C:\ProgramData\VMware\cis\cfg\vmdird\

but you are trying to install it to d:\program files\: .. try installing it on C: drive and see the results.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you for the response.  I reran the installer package onto the c: drive and I am getting the same error.  Is the installer supposed to put the CIS folder in both the c: and d: drives in the Program Data folder?  I am seeing it in both directories after removing it from the d: drive after rerunning the installer package.

See newly attached logs.

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Again the same error, try downloading a different release of vCenter Server. One small and maybe stupid question - are you running it as Administrator with UAC off?

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the vCenter Server release update 1 and I am getting the same error.  Yes the UAC is turned off for the Administrator.  Should it be turned on??

0 Kudos
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to figure out what this error means from the log.

DEBUG: Error 2863:  The control WarnDomainNotJoined on dialog MachineStatusDlg needs the icon Exclaim.ico in size 16x16, but that size is not available. Loading the first available size

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2863. The arguments are: MachineStatusDlg, WarnDomainNotJoined, Exclaim.ico

DEBUG: Error 2863:  The control WarnNotDNSResolved on dialog MachineStatusDlg needs the icon Exclaim.ico in size 16x16, but that size is not available. Loading the first available size

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2863. The arguments are: MachineStatusDlg, WarnNotDNSResolved, Exclaim.ico

MSI (c) (84:44) [10:39:48:404]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (c) (84:44) [10:39:48:404]: Product: vCenter Single Sign-On -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (84:44) [10:39:48:404]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: vCenter Single Sign-On. Product Version: 5.5.0.805. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

I downloaded a new installer package and ran it using simple install and custom install and I am getting the same errors.

I was able to install it on a virtual machine with Windows Server 2008 SP2 but it will not let me install it on the DELL E6400 ATG laptop with Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

0 Kudos
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I noticed that the CIS folder is being placed in the following directories:

c:\Program Files\VMware , c:\ProgramData\VMware and also on the d:\ProgramData\VMware.

Is that normal??

I am trying to install it on the D:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure.

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

I'm quite baffled by it throwing such errors... it still keeps confusing the path, try checking your environment variables for any strange errors or misconfiguration due to program files being on D:. This misinterpretation is quite a bit silly to be honest.

Anyways if this system does not have any other critical data/services running I'd reimage it with a clean install of windows server, present only the C: drive to it, install the vCenter and create a 😧 drive after a successful installation - I am out of ideas here Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
adotson21
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am still stuck with this and trying a few things to resolve this issue before I have to do a clean windows install.  I noticed that in the temp folder directory that the SSO installer places the log files there is an AdobeARM.log  See attached.

Is that normal with the Single Sign on Install??

0 Kudos
MPCDI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I was speaking with VM Support they did mention that Error 2863 refers to something about the SSL Cert installed on that machine by VMWare.

Since it didn't pertain to my issue (did get to the installation of SSL) I couldn't get more information regarding that issue.

You're last log indicates a resolution issue. Can you nslookup the server name and ping it by it's name?

I'm assuming you have seen http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2061404

0 Kudos