VMware Cloud Community
janskey
Contributor
Contributor

Intel CPU features & requirements

Hi All,

I need advice as i'm already confused about the features of intel CPU's. Based from the installation guide vsphere esxi 4.x it says that only 64bit processors:

64-Bit Processor
- VMware ESX 4.1 will install and run only on servers with 64-bit x86 CPUs.
- Known 64-bit processors:
* All AMD Opterons support 64 bit.
* All Intel Xeon 3000/3200, 3100/3300, 5100/5300, 5200/5400, 7100/7300, and 7200/7400 support 64 bit.
* All Intel Nehalem (no Xeon brand number assigned yet) support 64 bit.

* Does it mean ANY processor as long as it is 64bit CPU?

* What is the significant use of hyper threading? Can i still run vmware if no HT?

* Another features is VT, what does it mean? I saw a lot of different VT's like VT-x, VT-d and others but not sure what's the use.

* I also read something that if this VT not present I can't install 64bit OS, is that right?

I appreciate if you can help me enlighten those questions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

* Does it mean ANY processor as long as it is 64bit CPU?

->  Yes any processor from intel an 64bit that support EM64T (not Itanium platform)Check the HCL for easy sort out,

* What is the significant use of hyper threading? Can i still run vmware if no HT?

-> Yes, you can run ESX without HT

* Another features is VT, what does it mean? I saw a lot of different VT's like VT-x, VT-d and others but not sure what's the use.

- > You must have VT-X support to work 64bit guest operating system. Also VT-d is optional but if it availalble then you can configure Passthrough Hardware.

* I also read something that if this VT not present I can't install 64bit OS, is that right?

- > Yes

I appreciate if you can help me enlighten those questions.

Thanks

Nithin

--Nithin
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

if it's the latest version of the processor, just enable VT in the bios and you will enjoy 64bit as well as features like VMware FT too. the other of the VTs are the enhancement and improvement which if wanted to you can research more.

0 Kudos