VMware Cloud Community
AnaCopa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing Upgrade 6.x to 7.x

Hi everybody, I am confused, I have a cluster hyperflex with ESXI version "6.7U2", my licenses are "VMware vSphere 6 Standard, Never Expiration" but I don't have VMware Support active.

To upgrade from 6.7 to 7.x, Should I renew support contract and after upgrade, Can I upgrade from VMware license portal, Is it correct?

Or Should I buy 7.x licenses?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
  • i

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
For version 7.0 you need 7 licenses, if you have expired SnS contract, you cannot upgrade your 6 licenses.

If the time that has passed since the expiration of your contract is long, it may be cheaper to buy new 7.0 licenses.
To reactivate a SnS contract, a fee is included for all the time the contract was not in force plus a penalty fee, plus the fee for the new contract period.

You can request a quote from your local VMware vendor to see which option is best for you.

The licenses do not expire, they are perpetual, what expires is the SnS contract (subscription and support).
The SnS contract entitles you to new versions (including licenses) and support with VMware.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you need to have active SnS

e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
For version 7.0 you need 7 licenses, if you have expired SnS contract, you cannot upgrade your 6 licenses.

If the time that has passed since the expiration of your contract is long, it may be cheaper to buy new 7.0 licenses.
To reactivate a SnS contract, a fee is included for all the time the contract was not in force plus a penalty fee, plus the fee for the new contract period.

You can request a quote from your local VMware vendor to see which option is best for you.

The licenses do not expire, they are perpetual, what expires is the SnS contract (subscription and support).
The SnS contract entitles you to new versions (including licenses) and support with VMware.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
DilipPatil1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Virtuoso,

I have a CISCO HyperFlex cluster with esxi 6.5 installed. my current server hardware is out of support and we need to change it, if we buy new server hardware, can we use same license key on new server hardware?

Thanks,

0 Kudos