VMware Cloud Community
JacksonJ
Contributor
Contributor

Mount not supported in ESX 4?

Running into a bit of trouble here with my kickstart config for ESX 4.

I had created my ks.cfg files using the hostname for the filename and stored these on a NFS share. I have no issue with ESX 4 getting to my nfs share and using the right ks file. The installation goes through all the way to the %post

Now this is where it gets tricky... Because we have 20 hosts and each host is configured exactly the same I didn't want to put the "Common" commands in each ks.cfg file. This would mean that any changes would require updates to each of the 20 files.

So, what I had done in the ks.cfg file for ESX 3.5 is Mount the NFS share and run a "Common" script called install.sh. This file did everything from create user accounts to setting advanced settings to configuring all our NIC's and vlans.

Now in ESX 4.0 the mount command just doesn't work. When it comes to the %post script it fails. Checking the /var/log/esx_install.log file it shows that it failed to mount the nfs with the error Invalid Arguments. It seems like using the Mount command for NFS isn't support anymore. This may be because they switched it to the esxcfg-nas command, but the problem with this command is it needs vmkernel configured (which isn't active until my script runs).

Does anyone have any tricks they can suggest? I would really perfer to keep the "Specific" and "Common" scripts separate.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies