VMware Cloud Community
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move ESX hosts using Distributed Switch to a new vCenter server

Hi. I need to move my ESX hosts from a "old" vCenter 4.0 to a new vCenter 4.1. My ESX hosts are using vNetwork Distributed switchs and I'm a bit afraid of doing it violently...The esx hosts service console are still in a Standard Switch but all my VMs and Vmotion are using the distributed switch.

Did anyone tried this? Does someone have good advises before doing this? Thanks JY

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can migrate normaly, in DVS you have the option of migrate SC and others port groups. It is a wizard setup.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I know I can migrate port or port group but here I need to remove the ESX from the old vCenter and register the ESX to the new vCenter. My fear here is the loss of network connectivity for the VMs. In fact I did recreate the exact same distributed switch with the exact same label on the new vCenter environment but I do not know how the esx will react when unplugged from the old vCenter and re-plugged in the new vCenter.

0 Kudos
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok the move is done. I first disconnect the host from the 'old' vcenter and connect to the new vCenter. Then I had to 'add' the host in the new distributed Vswitch migrate the 'old' port group to the new one. Then I had to delete in the settings tab, Network the 'old' dVswicth. The only thing was all the VM lost network (between 5 to 6 time out.). It 's pretty much easy but it require a small network downtime.

0 Kudos