VMware Cloud Community
JH1116N
Contributor
Contributor

Need hardware help

We just purchased the VM 4.1 Accel kit for medium business for 3 hosts. I have a couple questions I you folks couple answer??? We do not have VM inplace yet but are about to. Just finished to class and have been messing around with it on a couple HP DL580's. We don't have a lot of funds so we were going to use our two DL580's and buy a third host. We are going to VM around 25 servers. Here are my questions.

1. We have two HP Proliant DL580 G5's Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X7350 @ 2.93GHz. I have updated firmware and they will run VMware ESX 4.1 However, will it run VMotion? We have an EMC Clariion CX4 and would like to tie them in along with a new (third host) so we can implement DRS. I ran a tool from "www.run-virtual.com", and it appears these servers will run VMotion, and I checked VM's compatability site and it appears it will run with a patch. However, I wanted your imput.

The boxes checked in the tool were: VT Enables = Yes, YT Capable = Yes, SSE = YEs, SSE2 = Yes, SSE3 = Yes, CMPXC = Yes

Now I know in order to run Vmotion and DRS the processor types need to be the same. Would it be safe to purchase another DL580, but a G6 with an updated intel processor?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Anything bought in the last year and now will work with enhanced vmotion. it will masks out the differences automatically. the only rule you need to stick is that it has to be intel-intel or amd-amd cluster only.

more info on enhanced vmotion http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos