VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Query on VC / ESXi Upgrade

Dear Team,

Currently in my environment I have below VMs as we have done the custom installation

vCenter

Inventory

SSO

MSSQL-Database

VC and ESXi version is 5.1 U1

Now we are planning to upgrade the same to 5.

Now i m planning to create a single new VM where i will select "Simple Install" so it will install all component on one VM.

1) Create a new DSN for DB connectivity

2) Start Simple Install

3) On Database screen i will select old DB for VC.

just want to confirm will it work if i select old DB for VC so that it will retain all task / event / performance data.

Need ur assistance if any point is missing in above POA.

Also request you to share the steps if someone has done the upgrade activity without any problem.

Regards

Mr VMware

3 Replies
dhanarajramesh

yes that's it. recently i have upgraded my environment from 5.1 to 5.5. vcenter side everything was fine but when i upgrade esxi i got boot bank issue for Cisco 1000V. So i removed the host from 1000V and uninstalled cisco 1000v VIB from esxi and upgraded. So make sure before you upgrade esxi, third party vib installed ( other than default)  if installed remove it from esxi and do upgrade.

0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Thanks for prompt response Ramesh,

U have saved my day as i have consider thispoint in my POA.....

in our environment we also have Cisco 1110 V switch ,

U said u have already done that so i need ur assistance on below query.

Just want to know before start upgrading our ESXi how to safely remove Cisco 1110V from ESXi and after upgrading ESXi how to add Cisco 1110 V so that it will be visible on VC server.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

put the host in to maintenance mode and make sure all the vm's are migrated including powered off vm ( other wise you will get error like port connected and you cannot remove dvs) 1) note down all the up-ink and connected physical nic ( normally I take screenshot) 2) migrate all vmkernal to standard switch that are created inside the DVS virtual port groups ( example: 1000V switch control,pocket connection, backup tool kernel connection) 3) remove all the physical nics from uplink ( ex: system up-link,vm data up-link) 4) go to networking -distribute switch and see the hosts connection. removable host connection shows warning and right click the host ( that you want to remove) and click remove this host from distributed switch. once you done the host will be removed totally from1000V switch and also from host configuration-networking tab. 5) login to host thru ssh and list out vib list by executing #esxcli software vib list and note copy cisco 1000V VIB and remove it by executing # esxcli software vib remove -n 1000V vibname

viblist.png

remove.png6) upgrade your esxi thru command line or VUM and once confirmed that everything is fine, go to networking-dvs swicth and add the host then select correct up-link and NIc and then migrate all the vmkernal to original port-group ( that you migrated before to standard switch) and then finish. when you are doing this the VUM will automatically invoke the 1000V switch vem installation and will install 1000V vib file. once completed reboot the host and check all the connection and VLAN access( which will be displayed in 1000V uplink side). and also login to host thru ssh and check vem status is running ( # vem status) . if let say vem is not automatically installed while adding host to 1000V switch. http to 1000V management ip address and download appropriate vib file or zip file and copy to your esxi temp or shareholder and install by executing ( #esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volume/datastore/vibfile name) and then add host to 1000V again. even you can login to 1000V swtcich and do #show module here you may able to see you host UUID and ip address and esxi versions

below is example 1000V vib file browsercisco.png***better take screenshot of all tasks before you move to next step