VMware Cloud Community
ShaneMacNeill
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Install Esxi 5.1

I get through the installer, but no installable drives are detected for install. Assumed that the drives, or sata controller was not compatable, but found a package for supporting our controller on the VM website. I have tried to repackage an ISO with the additional vib file but to no success. No real experience at installing this software and after 4 hours stil no further ahead. does anyone have any ideas, at this point I am out of luck

0 Kudos
7 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

what is hardware  for ESXi host. If it is dell, then download ESXi installer from DEll, same with HP, Cisco etc

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
ShaneMacNeill
Contributor
Contributor

I have a IBM x3200 M3 running 16Gb of RAM and an Adaptec 6405 RAID card.  I have 4 x 1Tb harddrives with 2 x RAID 1 arrays setup for simple redundancy for now.  I have previously installed Windows Server 2012 on it without issue so I know the hardware is setup correctly.  However, when I boot up the ESXi installation disk it doesn’t see either of the arrays.  I’ve done the following:

• Checked the compatibility of all the hardware on the VMWare site.  Everything passes.
  • Upgraded the firmware on the RAID card to the latest.  It matches a version that the HCL says should be supported.
  • Formatted the drives just to ensure prior installations are weren’t disqualifying it from the installation for some odd reason (Although I know this shouldn’t be the case)
  • Upgraded the BIOS on the IBM server
0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Downlaod IBM customized ESXi 5.1 image for isntallation.

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?source=stg-esxi5

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5092095&brandind=5000008

Regards

Mohammed

ShaneMacNeill
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

ok i downloaded the new server iso and created a bootable USB for it and again, still no drives are listing in the installer.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi ,

Did you downlaoded from IBM website ?

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos
ShaneMacNeill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

yes i downloaded right from the IBM website, i am beginning to think that the drives themselves are not compatable.

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I just checked the compatibility of Raid controller and found it is compatible. I think it best to reach  out to IBM to find what is going, since I think driver is missing for raid controller.

Regards

Mohammed

0 Kudos